Technical Skydome Q&A

Currently reading:
Technical Skydome Q&A

I've tried to open it this morning to assess the runners and the drive has broken completely so the bloody thing is now stuck in my drive with a sheet over it and I'm stuck without a car. My Fiat is certainly living up to the stereotype.

It's exactly the same technology from the same company that builds sunroofs for many other manufacturers including mercedes benz so you can't really blame fiat for this. Especially when you don't maintain your car.

I would also like some advice on greasing the sunroof. I dont have any issues with it, it doesn't click but it does have the occasional squeak. I just want to make sure I keep mine in good running order especially now that the weather has got nicer I actually get to use it quite often which makes a nice change :p

Any suggestions on what to use and just a bit of advice on how to apply would be much appreciated (y)

I've only owned the car for five months so I've no idea how well it's been maintained for the majority of its life, I could only go on it having a full fiat service history. Bearing in mind the majority of motorist don't know how to change a wheel let alone anything more in depth, anything that requires regular maintenance to stop it failing should be covered under the service schedule to stop it failing, if that would of even helped in this case. The mechanism did not appear to be struggling or slowing before it failed and the runners look to be well lubricated, the glass went back then stuck and the mechanism broke.

Had the roof lining out today to assess the situation. The first thing I found was the lining had been out before. several of the mounts holding the cables are broken and the gearbox on the motor is shot. On the plus side I was able to close the glass so the car is now useable. It's booked in at the dealer to sort it next week.

How to reset the roof's position:

Sure, here it is (button A is the one that closes the roof):

After the battery has been disconnected or a fuse has blown, the operation of the sun roof must be initialized again.

Proceed as follows:

- press button A until the roof is completely closed. Release the button;

- press button A and keep it pressed for at least 10 seconds and/or until the glass panel clicks forwards.

Release the button at this point;

- press button A within 5 seconds of this operation and keep it pressed: the glass panel will complete a full opening and closing cycle.

Only release the button at the end of this cycle.

Cheers :)

I've read some interesting questions on another thread about the Skydome so I thought I'd share some wisdom about this option on the bravo.

bravo07.jpg

First, this is a very nice factory option (can't be added after purchase of the car) and I recommend it to anyone looking to buy a bravo despite the little niggles I'll point out later, it's a very reliable tinted glass sunroof that allows to see the sky from the rear and front seats and is electrically operable to open in three stages.

When it's open, you can drive up to 50 mph without much wind noise thanks to the built in wind deflector that pops up when you open the roof.

When shut, you can drive up to 120 mph without a problem. Above that speed, the wind starts pushing the rubber seals producing an annoying whistling noise. (any high speed freaks will want to install an after market wind deflector)

The performance downside to the Skydome is slightly more body roll due to the added weight of the glass and higher center of gravity of the car. (as an opposite example, the big innovation of the new BMW M3 is the super light carbon fiber roof, making the car's center of gravity lower and improving its handling prowesses)

The only solution to body roll : Lowering suspentions.

If you ask me, the improved looks of the car and the advantage of a large sunroof outweighs (pun intended) the little minuses on the performance side.

Little tip for Skydome owners who might not know : when opening the canvas cover, you need to hook the handle to a little notch at the back to avoid rattling. (have a look then you'll know what I'm talking about)

Please stay on topic when replying or asking questions.

hello.
i need your help,i have a bravo 2013 i live in argentina.
my car at the 2000 km the roof como a make sound in the driver side,(the sound is a tick,tick tick)its come when the imperfections of the way)
and i see if i put my hand and make a litle precion in the roof the sound its gone.....

do you know aniting about that??

i hope your answer,and sorry for my inglish.
.thanks!!!

hello.
my car at the 2000 km the roof como a make sound in the driver side,(the sound is a tick,tick tick)its come when the imperfections of the way)
and i see if i put my hand and make a litle precion in the roof the sound its gone.....

.thanks!!!

I'd take it back to a main dealer as it'll still be under guarantee, you interfering could make it worse and void the guarantee.

hello.

.thanks!!!

You need to clean the rails and then grease it well.

I usually use a small wooden stick (the kind used for barbecues) with cotton wrapped around its tip and pull all the debris from the mechanism.

The ticking noise will be gone after that and the roof will open and close faster.

Last edited:
You need to clean the rails and then grease it well.

I usually use a small wooden stick (the kind used for barbecues) with cotton wrapped around its tip and pull all the debris from the mechanism.

The ticking noise will be gone after that and the roof will open and close faster.

Thanks for this! I want to make sure my skydome is properly maintained

But now for the stupid question! Is there any particular kind of grease you should use (i'm not a grease expert!)

Any other things I should be aware of?

Also I have noticed something happening to my skydome since I have it. As I see it there are 4 stages of the skydome.

1. Closed

(then hold the button for stage 2)

2. open at a tilt

(then hold the button again until it stops for stage 3)

3. Open nearly all the way

(then hold the button for stage 4)

4. Open as far as it can go

My question is first of all, should stage 3 exist at all or is it just my car? and secondly the distance between stage 3 and four seems to be getting bigger (in other words when holding the button it seems to stop for stage 3 earlier than it used to).

I know there is a procedure for resetting the skydome but that is in my manual which i dont have to hand at the mo. Plus sharing is caring so some other members might want to know how to do this :)

thanks for the reply.

but the roof works fine,close and opend good,but de sound tick tick comes when the car is roling

i hope your anwer,

thanks

James, all your questions have been answered before. you should read the whole thread ;)

Hehe I did have a quick glance but I was in a rush after work and was hoping someone could do the hard work for me :D

I'll have another look now :)

EDIT: read the thread, got all the answers I needed thanks :)

I still think it's strange that it has that strange 'stage 3/halfway' setting but meh, there's more important things to worry about in the world :)

Last edited:
I still think it's strange that it has that strange 'stage 3/halfway' setting but meh, there's more important things to worry about in the world :)

Not strange, but a flipping pain in the arse if you ask me, having to basically hold it to open or close fully. None of the other current Fiat models (GP and I assume Evo, or 500) do this.

IMO after tilt one more press to open should open fully, if you want it half then you can push again to stop when in desired place like the electric windows, and when closing the same would apply, except it fully closes rather than goes from fully open to vent.

Not strange, but a flipping pain in the arse if you ask me, having to basically hold it to open or close fully. None of the other current Fiat models (GP and I assume Evo, or 500) do this.

IMO after tilt one more press to open should open fully, if you want it half then you can push again to stop when in desired place like the electric windows, and when closing the same would apply, except it fully closes rather than goes from fully open to vent.

Yes this is exactly how it should operate! Btw it's not only bravos, my GP does this so I assume it would be the same for every fiat model

I know the 500 doesn't, and was sure my mates GP didn't, but looks like I was wrong :eek: :p

Yes I did assume the 500 was the exception because it only has one glass pane. I did also assume it opens halfway on the bravo/gp because when it is fully extended the glass goes over most of the rear window pane (in the GP at least but assume it would be the same in the bravo) and fiat wants to keep the people in the back happy (y)

Also maybe not all GPs act this way but maybe only S2s? Who knows! :rolleyes:

mi roof make sound when the car is rolign,if i open or close the roof dont make any sound,but when i driving the car and this take the imperfections of the road the roof begins (tick tick tick)just in the side if the driver in the midle of the 2 glasess.

i hope your answer.

thanks!

Hey guys,

I got my skydome stucked. For some reason it got itself opened halfway, I tried to close it and saw that it was trying it's hard to do so but it just couldn't close. I also tried the manual procedure but felt like the gear on the engine was loose and I couldn't move the glass. What I did was to push it from each side (with the help of my dad) and now it's closed and the car is usable but cannot use the skydome :mad: (n)

Any thoughts what could fail on the mechanism?

I got a diagram from the dealer but it looks just like a puzzle to me

IMG_20131115_123616.jpg

IMG_20131115_123557.jpg

Please guys, if any of you have any thoughts don't hesitate.
Thanks a lot!

Back