General Should I get a 500x?

Currently reading:
General Should I get a 500x?

Hi, I am looking to get a 500x, probably around 2015-2017.
What’s the best engine/model to go for?
How is the reliability?
Is there anything I should be looking for that the seller won’t tell me?
Thanks in advance 🙂

I’ve driven the 2l diesel auto (4x4) and the 1400cc, the 1.4 is a hoot…the diesel is not quite upto the same application as in the renegade?!? (which is what the wife has in trailhawk spec)…someone will be able to tell you what day to day life with one is like, but also look through the forums…seems a pretty reliable and likeable car

You can start by reading this thread:

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/500x-failures-fixed-under-warranty.456914/post-4317580

To my knowledge, experience and reading about 500X issues/failures then most (certainly 2015 models) are minor annoyances. Also on my 500X Cross Plus 2015 1.4 Multiair Petrol, with manual box, 5" uConnect NO DAB, model the only repairs or issues that were not fixed under warranty (after 3 years) were failure of the DRL bulb holders due to overheating in 2020. I bought two news ones (£14 each inc vat) which I have not yet fitted as I was able to rework the old holders are they are still working after 3 years.

I've no experience of the diesel, 1.6 non turbo petrol models or models with the auto box.

It is possible that the 2017 and later model picked up so other quality niggles like door handle lock end covers, DAB aerial failures, rear light cluster connector issues.

Can only suggest you read the whole of the 500X forum/topics.

Yes you should.

Get a 2016 2.0L multijet diesel with 4 wheel drive and a very comfy auto box. Range topping model so it comes with all the nice extras like leather, climate control, cruise control and HID headlights.
There is not a lot goes wrong with them other than stated above little niggles.

No DMF or clutch to worry about in the auto ;)

I'm lucky or not so lucky, as it took me many weeks to build a personal manual from a Fiat KeyLearn USB device ONLY for my 1.4 petrol & manual gearbox 500X. For Copyright reasons etc. I can not share this other than the odd page of info.

I gather in the US you can purchase the 500X eLearn CD but it is (I think) around $200 but it does covers all US models.

In UK/EU you can also subscribe to Fiat online data with daily, monthly, yearly rates but this is expensive. Not sure if there is a US equivalent but suspect that there will be.

I also have and paid only £25 for the HAYNES AUTOFIX FIAT 500 X 5 doors - 2014 to 2019 online manual which they seem to updating and adding to.

See: https://haynes.com/en-gb/

Any of these Haynes Autofix manuals you subscribe to are Engine & Gearbox specific which you have to choose when purchasing.

I have a 1.6 etorq. Now done 73k from new. Only issue was aircon fixed under warranty. Original in every way except front tyres replaced. This is the base model car and is simple !
Interesting.

The 1.6 etorq models were (as far as I can tell) not popular choices. I think one possible reason is that the etorq engine was considered to be poor choice over the MultiAit or MultiJet engine versions. That said I believe the etorq engine is in many respects a more traditional and simpler petrol engine without all the diesel DPF and other emissions control stuff.

Personally I'm now (at my age and always have been) in the keep it simple, nominal/modest performance and best reliability camp. Do I really need all that HP etc.?

Example. I've towed our 1000kg caravan or a trailer with my Uno onboard with a Punto HGT, Tipo 1.6ie (70 BHP), Tempra 1.8ie, Stilo 2.4, Croma 1.9 MultiJet and now my 500X 1.4. There is no doubt that of these the Stilo, Croma and 500X would win the towing race BUT even the Tipo could well manage the task in hand if you gave here a little credit and consideration etc. Never towed with my Coupe 16V 5 potter.

Tricky subject to discuss for sure but having driven all the above (and more) Fiats (starting with my 600D... the list goes on) I personally think that just about all Fiats (which have always had good engines) are not to be scorned. If my old Tipo 1.6ie 68/70 BHP can tow several times a 1000Kg caravan for 3000 miles to Italy and back (each journey and up challenging mountain passes)) and I have done the same in my Stilo, Croma and 500X then any issues are not with the vehicles as such but with driver expectations or driver lack of consideration with regards to their vehicles capability.

I've been well and truly happy with all my various Fiats and Engines but if I were to criticise any of them then it would be:

1) Stilo/Marea/Coupe/Other 2.4 5 cylinder engines. One cylinder too many resulting in horrendous basic maintenance and cam belt change issues
2) Croma/Other 1.9 MultiJet *with" complex DPF and EGR systems

I guess as we all potentially have to go electric (except for classic car ownership) we will be comparing battery life, performance, range, WARRANTY, etc stuff here on Fiat Forum :)

We have a 2016 1.4 Cross Plus AWD automatic which we bought a bit over 3 years ago. It's the 170hp all wheel drive version. So far so good. It's not great on fuel (mid 30's usually) but it is well appointed inside and does have quite a lot of get up and go

Hi, I am looking to get a 500x, probably around 2015-2017.
What’s the best engine/model to go for?
How is the reliability?
Is there anything I should be looking for that the seller won’t tell me?
Thanks in advance 🙂
If you ended up being interested in a 2.0 MJD 4WD AT9, 66 reg, about 18.5k miles on the clock with full yearly stoneacre service history, how much would you be willing to pay?

By the way it's a red cross model (I specifically didnt want the 18 inch wheels) but has the comfort pack, safety pack, and spare wheel (in total around £1,500 at time of purchase)

I'm considering selling because I have my eye on something else.

Interesting.

The 1.6 etorq models were (as far as I can tell) not popular choices. I think one possible reason is that the etorq engine was considered to be poor choice over the MultiAit or MultiJet engine versions. That said I believe the etorq engine is in many respects a more traditional and simpler petrol engine without all the diesel DPF and other emissions control stuff.

Personally I'm now (at my age and always have been) in the keep it simple, nominal/modest performance and best reliability camp. Do I really need all that HP etc.?

Example. I've towed our 1000kg caravan or a trailer with my Uno onboard with a Punto HGT, Tipo 1.6ie (70 BHP), Tempra 1.8ie, Stilo 2.4, Croma 1.9 MultiJet and now my 500X 1.4. There is no doubt that of these the Stilo, Croma and 500X would win the towing race BUT even the Tipo could well manage the task in hand if you gave here a little credit and consideration etc. Never towed with my Coupe 16V 5 potter.

Tricky subject to discuss for sure but having driven all the above (and more) Fiats (starting with my 600D... the list goes on) I personally think that just about all Fiats (which have always had good engines) are not to be scorned. If my old Tipo 1.6ie 68/70 BHP can tow several times a 1000Kg caravan for 3000 miles to Italy and back (each journey and up challenging mountain passes)) and I have done the same in my Stilo, Croma and 500X then any issues are not with the vehicles as such but with driver expectations or driver lack of consideration with regards to their vehicles capability.

I've been well and truly happy with all my various Fiats and Engines but if I were to criticise any of them then it would be:

1) Stilo/Marea/Coupe/Other 2.4 5 cylinder engines. One cylinder too many resulting in horrendous basic maintenance and cam belt change issues
2) Croma/Other 1.9 MultiJet *with" complex DPF and EGR systems

I guess as we all potentially have to go electric (except for classic car ownership) we will be comparing battery life, performance, range, WARRANTY, etc stuff here on Fiat Forum :)
G'day from Sydney. Just introducing myself.
Small family makes selling the 2 door Mito 1.4/dct for a used 500x a 'necessity' ;-) A side-grade?
Anyway, doing some due diligence on these forums for issues to look out for.
Cheers and see you 'round.

I'd check LEZ compliance with any diesel these days - it will affect the value

Back