Technical Should I be Worerried?

Currently reading:
Technical Should I be Worerried?

Stealth Locky

Everyday I'm shuffling
I have a 2006 1.2 8v.

I was going home last night, it was a 35 mile trip. At about 30 miles, my check engine light came on and flashed 4 times and then went off again. Any ideas why she did that? I had my timing belt changed 4 days before, and she's only done 32000 miles.

The reason why I'm asking is I have to go from Lincoln to Liverpool tommorow for my Grandads funeral.

Was the cambelt done by a Dealer and/or did they perform a phonic wheel learn reset?

I've known the ECU to detect a false generic misfire (flashing engine warning lamp) at motorway speeds for this very reason.

The cambelt was done by a fiat indie garage. I haven't driven her all week, though will take her for a run down the dual carriage way before taking on the journey tonight.

Take it back to them and get them to do the phonic wheel learn. Failing that, it could mean the timing is not 100%. Did they use the special cam and crank locking tools?

Surely would be very noticeable if the timing was out?

You'd think so, but I once had a customer with a mk2 Punto and the only error stored was with the knock sensor. On driving it, I found it seriously lacking power, but the owner hadn't noticed.

The cambelt was 2 teeth out on the cam.

With the newer FIRE engine, you have to use the tools as there are no longer any reference marks for TDC. Paint marks won't do either.

Back