General shift from understeer to oversteer

Currently reading:
General shift from understeer to oversteer

j0nny

*custom name*
just thought i'd post and see if anyone has had similar experiences

my 1.2 stilo has started to oversteer a few times when pushin it hard, ive been able to handle it so far but came as a bit of a suprise after getting used to its understeering quality. I had changed the original 15" steelies to 17" claws, Grip has improved with new wider lower profile tyres and firmer ride due to already lowered suspension. bought them off anthonytutton with a new set of admirals on the rears, unable to get a match i opted for kumos for the front, since then a bit of lost grip results in the rear sliding out instead of the front foward :eek:

Assuming alignment is good then it's simply due to a mismatch of tyres between front and rear. You might be happier if you swap them around.

What springs did you fit and did you fit matching dampers?

Assuming alignment is good then it's simply due to a mismatch of tyres between front and rear. You might be happier if you swap them around.

What springs did you fit and did you fit matching dampers?

yeah defo sounds like mismatched tyres(y)

id rather have oversteer in a fwd car than understeer, find it easier to handle, and more fun:D

Oversteer in FWD is more dangerous than oversteer in a RWD. You don't have any control over the rear axle and to be in control of the car relies on the back axle just behaving itself and following the front.

you mean you dont know how to control oversteer in an fwd car, rather slide than plough straight on and iv done both.

oversteer in an fwd car is so easy to control;)

Corrected it a few times in a diesel estate... but wouldn't say it was better or safer than just entering a corner at the correct speed ;)

theres never a correct speed, its never fast enough! Oversteer isnt about speed, its about fun, contrary to popular belief (Days of Thunder, and any Nascar enthusiast), LOOSE ISNT FAST!!!!

I've got the original Conti's on the back (done over 30k miles) and Pirelli's on the front (done around 7k miles)...I do notice RGZ does have more of an oversteer characteristic than understeer, certainly compared to other Fiat's I've driven (Uno, Punto). I have to say though, the few times it's ever happened to me, it's been very manageable.

I've never really had that much understeer, the front of my 1.2 really grips, though I tend not to push too fast into most corners...I'm a rather smooth driver, something my Dad's commented on everytime he's in the car with me :)

Hopefully (touch wood), I won't need to replace my tyres till I get new alloys sometime next year, at the MOT a week or so ago, I still had over 4mm of tread left on the back tyres and over 5 or so on the fronts.

I kinda agree with Red on this (y) Oversteer in a RWD car is just plain lethal but is much easier to handle in FWD. (anyone remember the old Ford Capri and E-type - both were dreadful on corners (n) - even if popular at the time)

I tend to like the best tyres on the front, for that reason, but it's really a personal preference thing. If you don't like the idea of your back end trying to overtake you then stick the best boots on the rear :D

theres never a correct speed, its never fast enough! Oversteer isnt about speed, its about fun, contrary to popular belief (Days of Thunder, and any Nascar enthusiast), LOOSE ISNT FAST!!!!

I could also perhaps point out that public roads aren't really the place to be stepping the back end out. Fun police and all that :eek:

well all four tyres are brand new, the difference being the brand. presumably the kumos at the front have much better grip (good to know in future) lol. dont know if im gonna swap them over, i like the oversteering quality, i got very used to the severe understeer of the stilo being able to fully lock the steering knowing what curve it will take rather than the one i want it to. with the rear loosing grip before the front it makes things more interesting and has balanced things a bit more

car is lowered on spax springs, 35mm with OEM dampers. i find the oversteer alright to handle, first time suprised me but from then i am handling it fine though not good in traffic conditions or with lots of obstacles. nobody else having that with the stilo's i take it then? maybe the 1.2 is the easiest to do it in with the lightest weight up front

nobody else having that with the stilo's i take it then? maybe the 1.2 is the easiest to do it in with the lightest weight up front

I had something similar with the dunlops the car came with when I bought it.... fronts were goosed but backs were new. Bunged a set of my favourite Vredesteins on the front and it was oversteer heaven.... but that was on standard suspension at the time ;)
It's no surprise you get odd handling characteristics with mismatched tyres - we've all been there I am sure - in fact it can be an advantage at times in the dry, but certainly not in the wet :eek: ..... or the snow :( or the ice :yuck:
And winter fast approaches :devil:

i wouldnt see it as an advantage as such, just a bit more fun. i wouldnt be pushing it any way, wouldnt like to loose control of it. im sure after a while it will start to even out a bit

Back