Technical Screeching/Squealing

Currently reading:
Technical Screeching/Squealing

deek

I have a screeching noise coming from the front of the car [I think]. It starts slowly after about 30-40 miles and then gets louder, the noise only stops when I either apply the brake or turn the steering wheel slightly[but can't keep doing that all the time]. I it seems to start when the brakes and that have heated up. Have replaced the brake pads, but that hasn't helped, starting to wonder could it be the brake discs or maybe a bearing of some sort? My car is a stilo 1.9jtd with 61543 mls on clock. Would be glad of any advice.:confused:

My money is probably on the bearing needing attention. Have you recently changed wheels or tyres? If yes then I would swap wheels first because believe it or not when it happened to me, it was my tyre rubbing on something. Can't hurt to check that.

just way bought a 52 plate 1.6 stilo, brakes squeal all the time although just had brakes done before i got it, bit stumped as to cause, could the brakes be sticking a bit, very loud squeaking when braking gently and quiet squeak when just driving alng . . .grrr

I have a screeching noise coming from the front of the car [I think]. It starts slowly after about 30-40 miles and then gets louder, the noise only stops when I either apply the brake or turn the steering wheel slightly[but can't keep doing that all the time]. I it seems to start when the brakes and that have heated up. Have replaced the brake pads, but that hasn't helped, starting to wonder could it be the brake discs or maybe a bearing of some sort? My car is a stilo 1.9jtd with 61543 mls on clock. Would be glad of any advice.:confused:
Get the discs checked out as well.

I have an Abarth that was doing EXACTLY what you describe. Recently changed my front tyres and I haven't heard it since, so I'd suggest getting the wheels checked up.

Did you knock off the rusty ridge on outer sides of
the brake disks before fitting the pads.
Sometimes it needs grinding off.
But look out for some replacement disks as there is a
minimum thickness requirement.

John

Deek I have seen this many times over the years and its never been the front brakes, its always the rears. To check, get the car to do it and then GENTLY apply the handbrake as you are driving, if the noise stops this proves its from the rear. If you then remove the rear wheels and check the discs the discs will look redder than the fronts as will the contact face of the pads due to over heating. Remove the pads, deglaze the discs and free off the pad slides and rebuild. Should be sorted.

Thanks for reply. tried what you suggested and the noise stopped when I applied the handbrake, but it also stops when I apply the foot brake. One of the belts make a screeching noise for about a minute when I start the car up, starting to wonder if it would maybe be that.What do you mean by deglaze the discs?

tried what you suggested and the noise stopped when I applied the handbrake, but it also stops when I apply the foot brake. One of the belts make a screeching noise for about a minute when I start the car up, starting to wonder if it would maybe be that.

The handbrake applies only the back brakes, foot brake applies all four corners, so the noise is more than likely coming from the back (y).

Unless the noise changes with rpm then it doesn't sound like a belt from what you've said.

Hope this helps!
Johnny

I'm having the same issue on mine at the moment. Noise goes away when u apply the handbreak slightly. Its the rear left. Was going to remove the pads and put some copper grease on the non contact side and rebuild. Would this make a diffrence do u think

What do you mean, when you say deglaze the discs?

scrp_0711_01_z+brake_deglazing+.jpg

Making the car go fast is one thing, but slowing it down is another. Brakes are important and require the same level of maintenance as any other system on the car. They need to be looked at between every race, and the minimum service should be deglazing the pads and the rotor. Merely removing the glaze helps keep the brakes in top condition. There's no need to replace the pads every race, but by removing the glaze, the brakes maintain a level of performance that's consistent, and it forces you to really look over the brakes for any other issues, such as leaking seals or physical damage. The process is simple. It requires a minimum of tools and can be accomplished in about 10-15 minutes per wheel.

The idea that you can perform simple maintenance and improve performance is something that's not lost on the professional race teams. This is a performance enhancer that can be used with a minimal amount of special tools; in fact, you probably already have everything you need to do this job. So turn off the TV, get into the shop, and start working on the car.
http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0711_brake_deglazing/index.html

Sorry not been back for a while, deglaze brakes means to remove the shiny surface of the brake contact faces. So the pads and discs, where they touch when the brakes are applied need to be cleaned with emery paper. Remove the pads, lay a large piece of emery on a flat surface and rub the shiney surface of the pad on it until the friction material goes dull, (must be done on a flat surface to maintain the flatness of the pad). Same thing with the discs except they are left in place and the emry paper is applied by hand, this just takes the glaze off the surface and roughens the surface to allow the pad to bite again.

Renewed the brake discs and brake pads[mintex], cleaned it all down. Noise stopped for a few weeks, but has started coming and going again. I noticed when reattaching one of the calipers, that 1 of the bushions things was sticking a bit, could this be the fault or something else again. If it is to do with the brakes, why does the noise stop when you shake the wheel about? Be glad of any suggestions. Thanx

Could be if the calliper is stuck, my car was like this for a day or so just there, screeching noise when driving that went away when turning or braking), interestingly I skidded on ice yesterday and the ABS kicked in, it must have loosened the calliper as now there is no noise at all, I'll need to get it fixed properly to stop it happening again mind you

Back