Technical Squeal from front

Currently reading:
Technical Squeal from front

kratos1994

While in low revs and hitting a hill squealing sound from the engine bay sounds to be in front of the driver. It stop when revs have built and isn't constant or in idle. Does it when accelerating from low revs then stops. Any ideas or tips :)

Squealing going up a hill ( high load ). It sounds more like clutch slip to me.

Put it in high gear with handbrake on and with moderate revs. Try to drive off.
If engine stalls clutch is OK. :) If you get squeal clutch is tattered! (n)

Last edited:
1.9 JTD SPORTING 150 played around with the aircon and the noise went faint a bit fairly convinced its the auxbelt

now I see your same car as me, I have this time to time and never got to bottom of it.
im fairly modified so a lot of things it could be from my mods but the part you say right in front of driver sounds familiar.
I have to coast down a fairly steep hill for a few miles then get onto a slip road so the first bit of revs/load acceleration my car does this and I was suspecting aux belt or cambelt/idlers etc.
got the cambelt done and did the aux belt myself, found nothing suspect and still continued after belts.
I have settled on thinking its from the hp fuel pump area and as pressure rises that first time it sqeeks a bit and then usually disappears for the rest of the journey, does the same return commute but road conditions different so loaded from right out of the works gate, it sqeeks each acceleration for a few times through gears then disappears again.
I had ruled out any alternator issue just as it follows load rather than run time.
I nearly never have aircon on so again I don't think that's my sqeek.
I also modified my turbo and intercooler so the only other suspect was a leak from exhaust manifold or turbo flange that sqeeks a bit when cold then seals up when hot.
but as you say seems to be vitually under windscreen end of r/h side opposite side to exhast/turbo.
if I am idling to warm up a bit before setting off I either don't hear it or it occurs closer to home.

I started to datalog loads of things when I was worried about mine , lots of parameters checked at time of sqeek and nothing significantly changed enough to be able to diagnose, boost, fuel pressure, swirl flaps(which I now don't have ,but still does it),egr(which I don't have)etc

Last edited:
Been to the garage they said front coil spring even though it was broken ..nope ...then the aux belt .. Nope still doing it

I have exact same thing, high pitched squeal, intermittent from drivers side front. Worse at low revs and goes once revs pick up. Checked aux. belt and swapped alternator thinking it was dry bearing. Nope. I think it might be crankshaft bearing but haven't got the tools/time or inclination to dig that deep for fault finding !

can just about make it out with headphones on, sounds at a lower revs to mine watching your rev counter, this sounds more likely to be as the guys above had said try aux belt , not sure if you could run without to test(short drive) have a feel of all followers tensioners and alternator and aircon pully.
I gave all the grooved pulleys a quick wire brush before fitting my new belt.
this may be helpful
the belt run diags and belt number for mine 6pk1360
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/306532-auxiliary-belt-failure-panic-2.html
an extra long 15mm ring spanner was great for opening up the tensioner and without 3 hands I cable tied the other end of the spanner to the control arm

Last edited:
Back