General Fiat Stilo 1.2 3dr - Front Wheel Squeal

Currently reading:
General Fiat Stilo 1.2 3dr - Front Wheel Squeal

liamsteeth

Hello,

Wondering if you can help.

I’ve got a 2003 1.2 Active 3dr with alloys from a Dynamic.

I’ve got a squealing sound coming from the drivers side front wheel. This almost always occurs whenever I’m pulling away in 1st and am on a left hand lock. It squeals in a rotating fashion and then stops when I straighten up. It’s definitely not the wheel catching on anything as there’s no unusual wear on the tyres, it’s only one side and sounds high pitched/metallic.

It’s been like this for a while now, about 2 years and I’m keen to find out what’s causing it before I encounter any serious problems.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Stilo 1.2 front driver's side wheel squeak.

Hello,

Wondering if you can help.

I’ve got a 2003 1.2 Active 3dr with alloys from a Dynamic.

I’ve got a squealing sound coming from the drivers side front wheel. This almost always occurs whenever I’m pulling away in 1st and am on a left hand lock. It squeals in a rotating fashion and then stops when I straighten up. It’s definitely not the wheel catching on anything as there’s no unusual wear on the tyres, it’s only one side and sounds high pitched/metallic.

It’s been like this for a while now, about 2 years and I’m keen to find out what’s causing it before I encounter any serious problems.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Re: Stilo 1.2 front driver's side wheel squeak.

Been like it about 2 years and you're keen to find out what's causing it. :confused:

Check the disc shield isn't bent and touching the disc.

Unlikely to still be there after 2 years, but but a stone stuck between the shield and disc is a common cause of squealing.

Yeh, doesn't make sense on paper, but I was in a situation where if anything went wrong I could afford to get it fixed, now I'm in a situation where I need to nip things in the bud before anything expensive happens, and I really don't want to have to scrap the old girl!!

Thanks for your reply though, I'll have a look at that and will let you know how I get on.

Hello, well I had the wheels off and can confirm the discs aren't touching the shield and there aren't any stones caught in between, is there anything else it could possibly be??

Also, my city mode appears to have now stopped working, which is annoying as its handy for the roads round here, is that an electrical issue??

Hello, well I had the wheels off and can confirm the discs aren't touching the shield and there aren't any stones caught in between, is there anything else it could possibly be??

My car made a similar kind of noise when on full lock but instead to the right. I have found that mine was caused by a deteriorated piece of rubber between the rear spring and body of the car. Replacing it has corrected the issue and it no longer makes any noise. Have you tried checking suspension components etc?

Thanks for the reply, I haven't actually, I know the wishbone bushes need replacing at some point but they're only wearing, by no means knackered. How labour intensive was that??

Back