Save the marquee!!!

Currently reading:
Save the marquee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wouldn't want the forum to be repersented with Del Boy style caravan that's at best just about movable. It'll make us look like a right outfit and would probably drive people away from us. I think "fresh" and "new" is the way forward and all the most cost effective.

I don't think the suggestion was to actually tow the caravan around, just use it as a cheap place to store the marquee.

Seriously? Its likely the axle is falling out, wheels rusted solid with clapped out tyres and everything leaks. BTW yellow windows are not good either.

too much Pessimism in this thread ive made a good trailer from one of these vans and another i bought for £10 i sold to someone who put it back on the road as a caravan. most have galvanised chassis these days too.

to park on a farm or pub car park they will be fine for storage.

Last edited:
well i don't think its such a bad idea, i can't really comment on caravan quality and prices other than i once got one given to me and it was totally fine, just a bit musty from not being used. stuck new tyres on and gave it a good clean and it was totally fine. I also just gave it away after a few years use and several festivals. Never actually looked at prices though.
I did a quick google and it seems you can get storage for not a huge amount but most seem to offer 'winter storage' - like october through march, and that seems to average 250 quid. I not found anywhere that quotes (online at least) to just leave a caravan indefinately. I do suspect they would not be happy to find it was being used basically as general storage and the caravan never move though. That being the case I have no idea what would be done with it over summer - I too was thinking as Frazer that it wouldn't be taken to shows and stuff, that would look terrible lol.

Anyone know a farmer who lets travellers pitch up in vans and caravans in a field for a small fee? I bet that would work as somewhere to put a caravan, they won't care a single bit so long as they get the money they asked for.

Last edited:
too much Pessimism in this thread ive made a good trailer from one of these vans and another i bought for £10 i sold to someone who put it back on the road as a caravan. most have galvanised chassis these days too.

to park on a farm or pub car park they will be fine for storage.

Not pessimism just simple realism.

The discussion is about storing the marquee which needs the space of a small caravan. I got the impression the someone suggested the forum use a caravan instead of the marquee hence my attitude that its costly and will not do the job.

But using the caravan for storing the marquee (even stripped out) is also a no no because the door will be too small and damp will be a problem.

Marquees are big heavy and need a team to erect and dismantle. The latest dome gazebos will do the same job for not much money and are easy to move about and store. They might even zip together. The cost could be partly recovered by selling the marquee.

They are heavy and tough, so professional hire companies use them all the time. But for use three times a year something that big and heavy now looking for a storage home just doesn't do the job any more.

Not sure her father would like the idea sadly ;)

I think the decision is made now that we sell it and purchase something more suitable next year. (y)

wouldn't hurt to ask would it? instead of just giving up, he might surprise you.

Last time I looked for caravan storage (a local charity I help uses one) I tried everywhere locally and they wanted about £55/month :eek:

Given that dombooth was unable to get storage for a charity he helps I'm going to assume that storing ha caravan on his inlaw's land to house a marquee for an Internet forum he frequents.

Now unless you're actually going to offer any other useful comment dave I'm not sure why you're still banging on about this caravan idea.

The next time things change and they are unable to store the thing it's not just a marquee that can be moved about its now a decrepit caravan as well that will have to be dealt with.

Meanwhile the sensible vote is not with an oversized and cumbersome marquee when more modern better looking and easier to store alternatives are available.

The key to this whole thing is ease of storage and transportation. Caravans on other peoples land isn't really a practical solution - it's not a totally stupid idea it's just we don't want to be in this situation again with someone giving us a week to get out. A pop up marquee (or even 3) would be a much better idea for moving, storing and ecrecting. If one or two dedicated members (and I'm putting myself forward on this) can hold on to them then it's a simple in the boot job or on a roof rack. It's the only real way a bunch of volunteer car enthusiasts can do it fairly and practically.

Unless someone on here who is serious about holding on to all the stuff indefinaley can do so? And don't forget council lookups have to be centrally located for it to work hence why I think keeping it at homes are best

Now unless you're actually going to offer any other useful comment dave I'm not sure why you're still banging on about this caravan idea.
the thread title is Save the marquee!!!
i am putting ideas in that may not have been thought of to Save the marquee!!!.
If the marquee is to be sold that in its self is no easy task i recently sold a little used one on gumtree, you either put it on ebay and hope for a good price and lose loads in fees.
On gumtree and every fecker who comes to look at it want to unfold every panel and check for some strange mildew they have heard of that apparently eats marquees, they then spot a small mark and walk away leaving you to pack it all away on your own.

But using the caravan for storing the marquee (even stripped out) is also a no no because the door will be too small and damp will be a problem.

door wont be a problem ive stored this marquee myself for months before so know its sizes, and damp will be no more of a problem than when it was stored in a van for years.

where i have my lockup it comes with parking that i don't use but its not in a practical location for FF. some one in one of the other units already has a caravan on site for extra storage, there must be other people out there with the same but more central and close to m1.

Last edited:
where i have my lockup it comes with parking that i don't use but its not in a practical location for FF. some one in one of the other units already has a caravan on site for extra storage, there must be other people out there with the same but more central and close to m1.

Therein lies the problem. The ideas are good and this thread is getting to the bottom of our issue by throwing ideas about but I think the issue of storing one (or the one we have) is down to:

A, finding a big enough unit/property that's centrally located

B, making sure that property is a long lasting agreement as we don't want to go down this route every time the owner doesn't want to hold on to it anymore.

C, working out a way of moving it from unit to event with as least amount of hassle as possible.

With all the will in the world I can't see a member on here meeting these requirements because, let's face it, who wants four hippo bags filled with damp canvases and 100 or so poles in there garden shed for 360 days a year?

"" With all the will in the world I can't see a member on here meeting these requirements because, let's face it, who wants four hippo bags filled with damp canvases and 100 or so poles in there garden shed for 360 days a year? ""
Maybe the time has come, as the Walrus said, for the big marquee to be sold and 2 or 3 of the others purchased. At a stroke, that will reduce the amount of space needed for storage ? And...possibly fit in a small shed or even in a smallish trailer. How much space is needed for everything EXCEPT the frame and canvas ?

I have a towbar fitted, Official Fiat Forum Breakdown Service, so could pick it up from wherever it is and get it to the right venue ( we won't use Charlie's map !! ) :)

"" With all the will in the world I can't see a member on here meeting these requirements because, let's face it, who wants four hippo bags filled with damp canvases and 100 or so poles in there garden shed for 360 days a year? ""
Maybe the time has come, as the Walrus said, for the big marquee to be sold and 2 or 3 of the others purchased. At a stroke, that will reduce the amount of space needed for storage ? And...possibly fit in a small shed or even in a smallish trailer. How much space is needed for everything EXCEPT the frame and canvas ?

I have a towbar fitted, Official Fiat Forum Breakdown Service, so could pick it up from wherever it is and get it to the right venue ( we won't use Charlie's map !! ) :)

I'll get a picture of everything else when I take stuff back to my mates garage. Currently I can't work on the 126 because everything is in the way. :cry:

Peter has made a fabulous offer but it still leaves the forum with a transport and erection problem (no pun intended).

The dome gazebos look cool are easy to store and easy to erect. At £300 for three plus another £100 (ish or do a deal) for sides it's done.

Now is a great time to buy tent type stuff.

The spring would be a great time to sell the marquee. Enter stage left Peter's garage loft.

Peter has made a fabulous offer but it still leaves the forum with a transport and erection problem (no pun intended).

The dome gazebos look cool are easy to store and easy to erect. At £300 for three plus another £100 (ish or do a deal) for sides it's done.

Now is a great time to buy tent type stuff.

The spring would be a great time to sell the marquee. Enter stage left Peter's garage loft.

At £100 each that's the basic one, wouldn't we want the Deluxe version which has better waterproofing and stronger poles and roof support ??

At £100 each that's the basic one, wouldn't we want the Deluxe version which has better waterproofing and stronger poles and roof support ??

Probably yes, but this time of year it should be possible to get top of range kit and bottom of range prices.

Edit - Go Outdoors had 14ft versions for less money but the 15ft seems to have more available accessories.

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/camping-and-outdoors/camping-tents/event-shelters/show/all

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/coleman-event-shelter-pro-15ft-x-15ft

Edit (again). It's out of stock. :( End of season stuff wont be around for long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back