Technical Sail Active, What is it?

Currently reading:
Technical Sail Active, What is it?

I've had my 500x Sport 1.3 DDCT since February
I've seen Sail Active come up on the dash before, usually when I've been low on fuel and I'm taking it easier
Seen it a lot lately, maybe its the cost of fuel!
What is Sail Active?
I've been lifting off, is the gearbox disengaging and coasting?
I've looked on t'internet and forums, nothing
Any ideas

I have a Cross Plus DCT from the previous model year. I don't get that message but a sail boat symbol comes up from time to time. I have no idea what it means but you could be right.

Google DDCT Sail mode and you will find some hits but details are ratter lacking.

What I think sail mode is that when in a higher gear and you lift off and slow down the transmission will not change down until around 30mph. It may even shift up to 8th gear. Idea is to allow a controlled and safe coasting (as opposed to selecting neutral) with gears engaged but ensuring a low engine RPM rotation.

Not having driven one there may be a problem when going downhill unless there is a level sensor in the system. When going down mountain passes etc. good driving means selecting the correct gear to maximise engine braking and reduce strain on the braking system. Sailing in these situations would not be a good idea. They have probably thought of this but with so few details available we are only guessing.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that "sail mode" is, as above, when the car thinks you're coasting.

It sticks to a higher gear (actually it works by disengaging the clutch) to reduce engine braking effect, so the car rolls (or sails) with minimal fuel consumption. It works out when to sail from your speed compared to the throttle position (which I think therefore must be "off", or at "idle").

It tells you what it's doing, in case you're relying on some engine braking, such as when travelling down a steep slope with a hairpin bend at the bottom of it. "Sail mode" is deactivated when you press the brake, or touch the throttle.

You can stop it "sailing" in the first place by turning off Stop/Start or by selecting "Sport" mode, if you have it. If the vehicle's ESC is activated, the sail is also de-activated, since then you're likely/going to need drive to the wheels.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
I drove a DCT for a week as a test drive before I decided to buy a 500X (but I went "manual".. nothing to do with the DCT, just my preference).

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that "sail mode" is, as above, when the car thinks you're coasting. It sticks to a higher gear to reduce engine braking effect, so the car rolls (or sails) with minimal fuel consumption. It works out when to sail from your speed compared to the throttle position.

It tells you what it's doing, in case you're relying on some engine braking, such as when travelling down a steep slope with a hairpin bend at the bottom of it. "Sail mode" is deactivated when you press the brake.

Ralf S.
Well if sail mode can not be disconnected then I would have issues. Normally (pre covid) we go to the Italian Dolomites every summer with caravan. On some trips between sites we need all the engine braking we can get as there are up to 1 hour long steep down hills to navigate.

When at a site then daily outings still make heavy use of the brakes so again engine braking is a must.

When I had my Stilo Abarth with Selespeed then at least I could force it into a lower gear for increased braking. Best for engine braking was my Croma 2005 1.9MJet :)

500X 1.4 manual is OK but not as good as the Croma.

Well if sail mode can not be disconnected then I would have issues. Normally (pre covid) we go to the Italian Dolomites every summer with caravan. On some trips between sites we need all the engine braking we can get as there are up to 1 hour long steep down hills to navigate.

When at a site then daily outings still make heavy use of the brakes so again engine braking is a must.

When I had my Stilo Abarth with Selespeed then at least I could force it into a lower gear for increased braking. Best for engine braking was my Croma 2005 1.9MJet :)

500X 1.4 manual is OK but not as good as the Croma.

I edited my post.. I found some info' on it in my User manual... Braking will turn off the "sail" once activated... but you can turn off S&S to stop it trying to sail in the first place... 😇(y)

Ralf S.

Thanks guys.

I found that in the manual, but it wasn't clear what it was or did.

It does use engine braking, we have a couple of steepish hills and engine braking worked ok, having the sport means I have used the paddles to knock it down a gear at times.

The sport button is a bit out of the way, I'd just turn off S/S if you don't want to sail away!

Back