royal mail strike

Currently reading:
royal mail strike

I knew that unofficial strikes would happen today, this is because Royal Mail have changed everyones start time.

Posties traditionally start at 0445, this is good for them because any job that starts before 0600 attracts a £15 a week unsociable start time allowance, however, RM imposed a 0600 start time as from today, this has cost Posties £15 a week and will delay delivery of your mail by at least an hour, everyone loses.

RM tried to appease the workforce this morning by saying, you knew we were going to do this and you still refuse to accept a payrise of 2.5% which equates to £8.06 a week.

Is it me, or is that a pay cut?

I am afraid that last statement does not hold water. Its the Governments fault is it? The Government want to make changes to improve the economic viability of the Royal Mail, be competitive, and improve the service offered to the public. The fact the union oppose these changes are what the dispute is all about isnt it? The way I see it the Government are trying to do something about it but the union wont accept them.

The Royal Mail is being dragged under, not by the Government but by its workers. You are cutting your own throats in the same way the Miners did back in the 80s.

the rest is an opinion and your welcome ot that however if you believe the proposals are in anyway to improve service you are in for a rude awakening

I am afraid that last statement does not hold water. Its the Governments fault is it? The Government want to make changes to improve the economic viability of the Royal Mail, be competitive, and improve the service offered to the public. The fact the union oppose these changes are what the dispute is all about isnt it? The way I see it the Government are trying to do something about it but the union wont accept them.

The Royal Mail is being dragged under, not by the Government but by its workers. You are cutting your own throats in the same way the Miners did back in the 80s.

Ok, I hope that all the reforms and changes they propose do come to fruition and the CWU loses, but let's remember this thread, I will personally guarantee you that if all they want happens, in five years, the public will absolutely deplore what has happened to their beloved 350 year old postal service. I've seen quality of service decline since these two Muppets have been involved, since 2000 they have dessimated the workforce and service, you must have watched the two dispatches shows about RM. Bloody Nigerians wandering around aimlessly trying to deliver mail, etc. Regardless of the poor service you'll recieve, there will be one positive, RM will make record profits. You'll see, poor service, increased prices, demoralised and ever changing personnel and the destruction of another British institution.

:( im waiting for my next course unit, will it ever get here lol

Another one on Monday then is it?

And more unofficial strikes yesterday and today.

Truely shocking.

Good bloody job, the cheek of Gordon Brown, he takes £1million from our Unin every year, then offers us no support, this Labour party does not represent the working man, Labour indeed!

They robbed and raped middle England like nothing I've ever seen before, now middle England is going backwards while the rich get richer, they should change their rossettes from red to blue....................................

Good bloody job, the cheek of Gordon Brown, he takes £1million from our Unin every year, then offers us no support, this Labour party does not represent the working man, Labour indeed!

They robbed and raped middle England like nothing I've ever seen before, now middle England is going backwards while the rich get richer, they should change their rossettes from red to blue....................................

Agree with you there... there a bunch of theiving robbing b***ards. Taking from the poor and giving to the rich.......

Think we need a modern day robin hood lol :D

you know you can opt out of paying the money that goes ot labour in your subs?

On your first point, that's life. Most Mon-Fri 9-5 jobs are very poorly paid and are pretty rare in this day and age. I often have to stay later at work to get things done or bring it home with me. The reality is that a lot of people do the same. I also struggle to commit to things and with a rolling rota when I never know what day I have off, it further complicates things.

With pensions, not sure of the ins and outs but the government's own rules have stated for many years that a pension fund can only have a certain excess before they have to stop contributions. The situation is no different to many other private companies. And as above, final salary is long gone in most of the private sector.

Now maybe some people joined RM for a cushty public sector life, but that doesn't wash any more, it's ridiculous to have a two-tier workforce.

My argument against other companies delivering mail isn't just long-term cost but the short term cost and time involved in recruiting and training loads of staff and investing in new equipment. I'm sure it could be done but due to the massive investment, no-one is willing to stick their neckout and do it, can't say I blame them.

Helzy Baby

Let me clarify:

Five years ago Mr Leighton and Mr Crozier wanted the Posties to be more productive, to take on more work.

They increased the average walk (round) from 500 drops to 650 drops, they also tied an incentive to this, not a financial one, one of time, it is called 'job and done'.

The Posties went for this and it basically meant your attendance hours are 0445 to 1320, but if you get all the mail delivered you can go home when you finish your walk.

To facilitate this the Posties used their heads and once they prepped their mail they put it in their boot and drove it out to their walk. They then rushed around the walk, breaking every rule that RM set, ie: do not make your pouches more than 16kg, do not walk across peoples drives/lawns/etc, do not scoot or ride your bicycle on footpaths and they habitually come in an hour or so early to get their job prepped and ready to go, the net result of this is that the Posties on average knock off two hours a day earlier.

Royal Mail turned a blind eye to these practises because it suited them, they were able to make 40,000 staff redundant and put extra work on the remaining staff, they got the mail delivered, the staff made some time, everyone was a winner!

To put it bluntly, if you worked at Tescos, would you go in and sit on your checkout an hour early for free? Would Tescos encourage you to break every H & S rule that they themselves introduced. Would you deliver an internet order for them in you own private car?

RM introduced these practises so they have now become the norm. They now want to withdraw them. They want the Posties to start at 0600, losing their £15 unsociable start time allowance. Prep their mail, leave the office at 0830 and stay out and deliver until 1400.

The Posties will not use their cars, stick to all of RM and H & S rules and not come in early to prep. What do you think the net result of this will be to the service. Later mail. Posties not completing their rounds and returning mail to the Delivery Offices. A mail build up or backlog. Or RM employing more staff and defeating their original objective???

The politics of this dispute are so intricate, it's very difficult to have a realistic opinion unless you actually work in the industry and have all the facts.

Last edited:
Helzy Baby

*finds a pair of stilettoes to batter TC with*

Let me clarify:

Five years ago Mr Leighton and Mr Crozier wanted the Posties to be more productive, to take on more work.

They increased the average walk (round) from 500 drops to 650 drops, they also tied an incentive to this, not a financial one, one of time, it is called 'job and done'.

The Posties went for this and it basically meant your attendance hours are 0445 to 1320, but if you get all the mail delivered you can go home when you finish your walk.

To facilitate this the Posties used their heads and once they prepped their mail they put it in their boot and drove it out to their walk. They then rushed around the walk, breaking every rule that RM set, ie: do not make your pouches more than 16kg, do not walk across peoples drives/lawns/etc, do not scoot or ride your bicycle on footpaths and they habitually come in an hour or so early to get their job prepped and ready to go, the net result of this is that the Posties on average knock off two hours a day earlier.

Royal Mail turned a blind eye to these practises because it suited them, they were able to make 40,000 staff redundant and put extra work on the remaining staff, they got the mail delivered, the staff made some time, everyone was a winner!

To put it bluntly, if you worked at Tescos, would you go in and sit on your checkout an hour early for free? Would Tescos encourage you to break every H & S rule that they themselves introduced. Would you deliver an internet order for them in you own private car?

RM introduced these practises so they have now become the norm. They now want to withdraw them. They want the Posties to start at 0600, losing their £15 unsociable start time allowance. Prep their mail, leave the office at 0830 and stay out and deliver until 1400.

The Posties will not use their cars, stick to all of RM and H & S rules and not come in early to prep. What do you think the net result of this will be to the service. Later mail. Posties not completing their rounds and returning mail to the Delivery Offices. A mail build up or backlog. Or RM employing more staff and defeating their original objective???

The politics of this dispute are so intricate, it's very difficult to have a realistic opinion unless you actually work in the industry and have all the facts.

I'm not seeing much wrong with this. OK, the changes were introduced, haven't really worked, break all the rules and now things are to be changed so rules are not broken, people work the same hours they get paid for (and vice versa). 'Out here' in private industry, things (including some major things) constantly evolve - I've never bothered posting the rubbish I've been through at work due to the new contract and takeover and merger but it has affected my job big-stylie and touched thousands of other people who work in similar jobs across the nation.

Not to mention my previous points.

Back