General Rooflessdriver's 100HP

Currently reading:
General Rooflessdriver's 100HP

As I seem to be modding yet another car on another forum, I suppose I should join in and start a thread for my 100HP as I make changes :)

First of all, an explanation for the forum name, rooflessdriver.
My other two cars are MX5's

ARI - 2002 mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Arizona (supercharged 242BHP)
IMG_11193.JPG

Hornet - 1993 Mk1 MX5 1.6 (Stripped out track toy 101.7BHP)
IMG_9009.PNG

And on to the Deer Hunter.

2007 Panda 100HP
IMG_00277.JPG

I bought the Deer Hunter in Sept 2012 as my daily drive, to take the strain of ARI & my wallet (£60 a week on petrol)
The intention was to leave it standard and just use it for commuting & general use. However, this didnt last long!

The first thing I did was to de-tango the front & side indicators.
On my MX5's I have converted most 501 bulbs to LEDs and had spares, so assumed this was the way to go. (Didn't know about CANBUS!)

In the end I bought some Philips SilverVision bulbs, as other on this forum had recommended them. Easy job and noticeable difference.

Next thing to sort was the bouncy rear ride, so after much reading, I bought and fitted some KONI STR rear shocks.
Big thanks to everyone who posted on the forum and especially these two threads/sites

-koni-damper-experiment-thread-14.html

panda100hp a-cure

Last edited:
The next thing I looked at was the Stereo.
I did play around with the EQU settings and was ok, but I wanted something better, so I splashed out on a JVC KW-AV61BT double Din.

image492.jpg

After some experimentation, I managed to get all but the phone pickup & hangup buttons working :)
leads for 100HP steering wheel controls

Last edited:
Bit of a pause for awhile, then I saw a thread about the 100HP side decals, and did those.
(See pic at beginning of thread).

After that I saw Cooperman's thread on a cheap induction mod.
100hp induction mod under £30

This was rapidly bought and done, and very pleased with the new noise!
thanks Again Cooperman!

I saw a post recently about a short stubby aerial and bought one of these, but only kept it on for a couple of days as the radio reception was rubbish.

Last weekend I spent a couple of hours and wired in a rear camera and parking sensors.
(Yes, I know its a small car, but I have to park every day in a tight road at the station and it makes life easier!)

Today I received a rear bumper guard in the post, so just fitted that.

IMG_14452.jpg

You can see the camera in the centre of the rear valance and the sensors above.
On the JVC head unit, when I stick it in reverse, it comes up on screen

IMG_14461.jpg

IMG_14471.jpg

IMG_14481.jpg

Last edited:
So thats it for the moment. Future plans?

speaker upgrade, including sub under the seat.
Maybe do something with the wheels. (Plastidip)
Maybe replace exhaust back box with a twin exit...

Really tempted to put two big white stripes over the car (Shelby GT500 style),
but i need to sort out the front bumper first.

Oh, I didn't mention that did I?
In feb, I had an incident with a deer. (Hence the cars name)

IMG_07061.JPG

Been trying for ages to find a replacement, and given up, so now looking into plastic welding.

Last edited:
Real man maths to justify buying another car to keep your fuel costs down though haha ;)

;) I'm happy with £38 a fortnight against £60 a week on petrol, but yeah taking into account insurance, road tax & buying the car..... Heheheh!

Does mean I am bringing the mileage down on ARI though. Used to do 10K miles a year, since Sept I have done less than 1K (y)

Snap !! well almost I've a blue 100HP and an MX5 too.

8369_36946.jpg

DSCF6080.JPG

Can I ask where you got your Koni suspension from? I ordered a STR-T kit back in March and I'm being told that I'm going to have to wait until mid July now before I get it. :(

Nice collection of cars by the way, not sure about the white stripes though, but each to their own :)

Mike

Hi mike,
Got my koni's from Motorsportworld.

Is that a storm blue mk3 with a body kit?
Looks good.

Tried them too, and they didn't have any on the shelf so same problem of waiting for some new production :(

Yes, stormy blue with a mazdaspeed body kit and a few other mods too, have it SORN'd at the moment as the weather has been bad until this last week, time to get it on the road soon though. (y)

Did you paint the parking sensors yourself or buy them already painted as they look a colour match in the photo?

Mike

Yes, stormy blue with a mazdaspeed body kit and a few other mods too, have it SORN'd at the moment as the weather has been bad until this last week, time to get it on the road soon though. (y)
One of the better "new" colours. Friend had one and looked great. Body kit gives it a bit more aggressive look too. :cool:

Did you paint the parking sensors yourself or buy them already painted as they look a colour match in the photo?

Mike
Used a touch up pen I bought for a small stone chip. One very light coat on the actual sensor and two coats on the surround.
Doesn't seem to have effected them.

Bit of an update.
The spanner sign came up on the dash so I booked in with Crawley Down Group that are a fiat service site.

As the cae as 42,600miles, I decided to get the CamBelt done at the same time as its 6yr service. All in came to £435.

Got 3 advisories.
1. Front headlamp mounting bracket broken (deer incident) (£99.60)
2. Cut in drive side front tyre down to cord (£96.60)
3. Ns lower arm ball joint split (£262.82)

Annoyingly the tyre has 6mm tread :(

Bit of an update.
The spanner sign came up on the dash so I booked in with Crawley Down Group that are a fiat service site.

As the cae as 42,600miles, I decided to get the CamBelt done at the same time as its 6yr service. All in came to £435.

Got 3 advisories.
1. Front headlamp mounting bracket broken (deer incident) (£99.60)

Bit of an update.

Having serviced mine myself when the spanner appeared (at 12000), as Demi promised, the spanner disappeared on its own at 12600 miles. Sorted.

£96.60 for a new tyre? Was it made from Kevlar like the F1 Pirelli tyres cos I just paid £220 to have 4 Uniroyal Rainsports fitted and balanced.....

Actually £262.82 seems a huge amount for a new ball-joint too. Robbers!

I had thought about servicing mine but decided to get it done so its fully stamped up and didn't want to do the cam belt myself, so I'm not worried about that cost.

I didn't get the other bits done and phoned around for tyre.
As the yoko a drive on the other side is 5-6mm I'm getting the same for replacement.
Quotes from £77 - £114.
(They were offering a conti)

The price for the ball joint does seem steep but then I don't know how much work is involved for labour costs....

Back