Technical Reverse gear

Currently reading:
Technical Reverse gear

Hi can someone shine some light on a problem fiat punto evo, the gear selector every gear is ok drives fine but find it difficult to get it into reverse Then trying to get it out afterwards

Hi can someone shine some light on a problem fiat punto evo, the gear selector every gear is ok drives fine but find it difficult to get it into reverse Then trying to get it out afterwards
My Evo can't get into reverse sometimes, I have to mash it in, this goes same for my Seicento and Dacia Sandero that has 12K miles :) It's like a universal thing that the reverse gear is shyte on cheap cars.

Two things you could check:
1. Is it better with the engine off? If so could be clutch nearing the end of its life, or hydraulics - how's the fluid level?
2. Pop off the two cables from the gearbox end and try moving the selectors by hand (it's a tight fit). If selectors move freely, problem is probably the cables, the linings deteriorate with age.

Back