Technical Retrofit a fuel gauge

Currently reading:
Technical Retrofit a fuel gauge

JonPiz

Is it straight forward to retrofit a fuel gauge into my 500R. I prefer to see how much fuel Ive got than the stress of wondering when the little light will come on

I've wondered this myself. I'm relatively content that when the fuel light first flashes, there's about 5l left in the tank. I've never been in a nail biting situation but it would be nice to know.

Is it straight forward to retrofit a fuel gauge into my 500R. I prefer to see how much fuel Ive got than the stress of wondering when the little light will come on

You could easily fit the version of the tank-sender that is designed for the "L", which does have a fuel gauge. The challenging part would be to match it with a gauge that also looked right.

If you use the car regularly you get the instinct about when to full up. In my case, as soon as the low-fuel lamp stays illuminated when travelling on level ground, I refill the tank at the next time that I pass service-station. On a longer journey, I have the reassurance of knowing that there is always a five litre can of fuel in the front locker.

The sender is in the form of a variable resistor, like a volume control on a radio if you’ve ever taken one apart-
So what happens in the Fiat sender, the long rod which captivates the float, at the sender end has a small brass tab , and as the float lowers ( ie empties) the rod brushes the tab and creates a circuit, and then the light “wavers”, depending on gradient, acceleration etc.

The sender is in the form of a variable resistor, like a volume control on a radio if you’ve ever taken one apart-
So what happens in the Fiat sender, the long rod which captivates the float, at the sender end has a small brass tab , and as the float lowers ( ie empties) the rod brushes the tab and creates a circuit, and then the light “wavers”, depending on gradient, acceleration etc.
I know how a normal sender works, which is why I was surprised that you couldn't just fit a gauge. I thought maybe the 500 didn't have the resistor part, and was a simple switch.

Back