Technical Fuel pump primer Mk2

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel pump primer Mk2

GrahamH2

Having replaced the engine I was thinking about how to ensure fuel was getting down to the pump. Not having a spare fuel cap to hand (although I think this would be the better way) I rigged up this Heath Robinson device which also does the trick. It is a section of a 2.5" motorcycle inner tube (think Honda 90) with one end folded over and glued and the other end stretched over the filler cap. Attach a bicycle pump and it does put some pressure into the tank. A large diameter hose clamp around the inner tube/ filler interface would allow higher pressures.

Attachments

• Fuel-Pump-Primer-Mk2.jpg
    Fuel-Pump-Primer-Mk2.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 86
I would be wary of higher pressure, I once did that with an old Ford Zephyr and blew the bottom out of a rusted fuel tank:).
I would have thought a couple of pounds would be sufficient to encourage fuel through the system.
Isn't the tank above the height of the fuel pump? Surely gravity would do the job.

I would be wary of higher pressure, I once did that with an old Ford Zephyr and blew the bottom out of a rusted fuel tank:).
I would have thought a couple of pounds would be sufficient to encourage fuel through the system.
Isn't the tank above the height of the fuel pump? Surely gravity would do the job.
I am using the idea that another forum member came up with. My son renovates alloy road-wheels, and as such he has some spare Schrader-valves that are of the type that are held onto the wheel rim by nut on a threaded section at the lower section of the valve (other than the more normal rubber 'pull-through' type valve). I putting that onto an old 'knackered' petrol-tank filler-cap with the inner part of the top of the cap removed. Neat and tidy---try a tyre -supply garage and ask if they have any old, discarded (because one should always fit a new valve when fitting a new tyre) valves, and can they let you have one.

Having replaced the engine I was thinking about how to ensure fuel was getting down to the pump.
fuel-pump-primer-mk2-jpg.439376

OT, my 1968 500L didn't have a fuel filter.

My initial thought was the location shown in your image until I read the generic preferred location is after the pump, so I placed that identical filter vertical, directly above the pump.

How is that location working for you?

Here is my fuel filter location.

View attachment 439581
Having a plastic fuel-filter over an electrical 'device' is NOT a good idea! Please remove it. Your car has 3 fuel filters "as built". 1 on the end of the tank-unit, 1 in the top of the fuel pump and finally, a small filter in the top of the carburettor. They do NOT need a 4th filter

Some would argue that that position doesn't protect the fuel pump valves, although there is a usually a fine gauze filter in fuel pumps and also from new the vehicles didn't have a paper element fuel filter in the system any way.
As @hobbler mentions also, not ideal from a fire risk above an electrical device.

fuel-pump-primer-mk2-jpg.439376

OT, my 1968 500L didn't have a fuel filter.

My initial thought was the location shown in your image until I read the generic preferred location is after the pump, so I placed that identical filter vertical, directly above the pump.

How is that location working for you?
The fuel filter was in place next to the tank when I bought the car. I have only done 174 miles so far but it has not been a concern. When the car was new it did not have this extra fuel filter but then it did not have 50 years of rust and other detritus lurking in the tank so I think the filter could help to protect the fuel pump and it is in sight so easier to check and replace than the other standard filters.

In a risk analysis of the fuel filter after the pump the chance of a failure is still quite low even with a plastic filter in a hot environment with serious vibrations, but the effect of the failure could be very catastrophic as situated next to electrical equipment as an ignition source. In conclusion, if a filter is fitted then next to the tank is a far better bet than in the engine bay.

Back