Result!

Currently reading:
Result!

yep CCNA or MCSE - I am looking for a new job, but as I lack the bits of paper for either of those it's prooving harder than it would have been a year ago.

Well done! (y)

Well done
vwd_very_well_done_graduation_card-p137636376237612605q6am_400.jpg

What do you want to do with it? What I mean is what direction do you want to go? Networking? Unix? Microsoft? Security? Figure that out first. But, when you choose one remember that to be really effective you want to have an understanding of all of them.

You also need to understand - and I cannot stress this enough - networking. Not in a basic way. Get TCP/IP illustrated and learn it inside and out. Know how to diagnose basic routing problems, you need to understand how applications talk on a network, you need to know how to figure out why your solution is giving you grief and in a vast majority of cases this involves the network. Get familiar with tcpdump or windump or wireshark if you're of a visual nature. This will help you across any of the disciplines above in more ways than you might think.

One of the hot topics floating around at the moment is virtualisation because it comes as part of any 'cloud' environment. Cloud being fancy speak for scalable managed services. But again, that's a specialty area.

If you want something that touches on a lot of these areas and generates more chaos and interesting stuff in a day than MCSE's get in a lifetime, have a look at the security field. :D

I'm at work at the moment so I can't expand upon this to the degree I'd like to but if you want to get an idea of what someone who hires IT security engineers looks for, PM me and I'm happy to discuss. My background covers stuff as diverse as financial market paging systems, novell, linux, microsoft, cisco networking and security products from a dozen different vendors and I've had a reasonably wide exposure to the IT business over 15 years and 3 continents.

cheers
Jason

Back