Technical Replacing 8v engine advice

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing 8v engine advice

JamesMcMc

Was after some advice... my 1.2 8v engine decided to bust a piston ring. I found a replacement engine on Ebay for £60.

Unfortunately my original engine has a cam sensor, the replacement does not. I have read that you cannot simply exchange rocker covers because of the reading marks on the cam. Also, l have heard that the engines have different manifold positions.

Is there a way around this? I'm guessing that I could pull the whole head off the broken engine and put it on the replacement?

Next point... Someone has said you CAN remove the engine block without removing the drivetrain - can it be unbolted, slipped off the rear of the assembley and lifted up and out?

Lastly... will the ecu have problems detecting the new engine? I heard that the electronics need resetting to match the new engine? I do have OBD software that will do this.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Basically, you've bought the wrong engine. You could swap the head over complete, but this only makes sense if the "new" block has a lug for the knock sensor. Otherwise the ECU will have a hissy fit.

You have to define "drive train". The gearbox will have to come off.

Easy way is to remove the 2 bolts securing the stuts at the bottom. You then remove the inner inner CV boot clip and there's enough woggle room to seperate the CV joints. You can then drop the gearbox and engine as a unit. Change the clutch while you're at it.

I'd sell the engine on -- the SPI 1242 engines are an easy hop up for Cinqs/SPI Seis, so there's a fair market for them.

it should work by swapping rocker cover over, not sure where the cam sensor gets its pick up from, maybe something on the camshaft pulley?

Blocks should be the same as long as there both 1.2 8v, so manifolds should also line up.

You will be using the ecu thats in the car now, so you wont need to get keys etc off doner car

You can split gearbox and engine, just be sure gearbox is securely held in place so it all lines up when u drop new engine in.

Thanks for the advice - mmm thought it was too good to be true! Even though it is the same basic engine!

I'm pretty sure it has a knock sensor in the new engine (near the alternator mounts), so could do the whole head - I replaced the head gasket on the blown engine about a year ago so know it is a good, skimmed head. Don't really know the condition of the new engine.

Yes, thought the gearbox would need to come out and a new clutch is standard!

it should work by swapping rocker cover over, not sure where the cam sensor gets its pick up from, maybe something on the camshaft pulley?

Blocks should be the same as long as there both 1.2 8v, so manifolds should also line up.

You will be using the ecu thats in the car now, so you wont need to get keys etc off doner car

You can split gearbox and engine, just be sure gearbox is securely held in place so it all lines up when u drop new engine in.

The phonic markings are not present on the non-sensor engine crank, so it won't work by simply changing rocker covers - no info to the ecu. Think I'll have to change heads over.

Also been told it is the inlets that are slightly different on each engine, not the manifolds, so again a head swap would be the cure. That or a large, Punto-shaped bonfire...

You just need to change the cam pulley wheel then?

What car was the engine from?

If its a mk2 or mk2b they should be the same?

i pulled one of these out this week and it looks to me that if you can swap the cam wheel over then job done because this is where the cam sensor works from
as regards knock sensor as ive said before its only a micriophone listening for pinking
you could literally araldite it to the block

Back