General Remove engine support

Currently reading:
General Remove engine support

lazylobster

Established member
Hi all, I would like to remove the rear engine support bar that runs across the rear of the car. I have a R model which has the different engine mount, spring etc.

Is it just a case of undoing the large bolt in the middle of the spring to release the engine from the frame?

Please advise.

Cheers
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_8465.jpg
    IMG_8465.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
Hi all, I would like to remove the rear engine support bar that runs across the rear of the car. I have a R model which has the different engine mount, spring etc.

Is it just a case of undoing the large bolt in the middle of the spring to release the engine from the frame?

Please advise.

Cheers
Rob
That arrangement is shared with the 126. You appear to be missing the engine lifting lug that would normally be fitted on the top M8 bolt through the fan housing into the cylinder head.
3865E1A9-790D-47FF-BFE2-8F812405B4F6.jpeg
you can see one here to the left of the exhaust elbow & rocker cover.
what I used to do was jack up the engine by about an inch then use a piece of nylon cord between that lug and the engine lid catch to suspend the engine with the jack removed then just unbolt the rear panel.
another option was to remove a rocker cover nut and fit one of these lifting lugs
A301DF61-0417-4317-A487-59FCE906EDFF.jpeg

Hi Rob, As Dave says take the weight of the engine on a trolly jack and undo the centre bolt, then you can remove the two nuts each side of the rear valance. Check for any other bits attached and remember that the valance is heavy, but nothing that cannot be supported as you take off the nuts.
Ian.

Hey everyone. Help needed! I removed the rear crossmember to clean the centrifuge now I can’t seem to put it back as have no idea how to fit the sprint back in. It won’t fit anymore and I just can’t get the spring and crossmember under the cradle to reinstall because engine is hanging low.

Please help.

Hey everyone. Help needed! I removed the rear crossmember to clean the centrifuge now I can’t seem to put it back as have no idea how to fit the sprint back in. It won’t fit anymore and I just can’t get the spring and crossmember under the cradle to reinstall because engine is hanging low.

Please help.
Hi, can you not jack the engine up a bit higher?
Do you have a picture of the current situation?
R

Hi, can you not jack the engine up a bit higher?
Do you have a picture of the current situation?
R

This is the current situation. I think I made a mistake of having the jack situated on the left and the engine leaned. I had no place where to put it since the cross member came off.
Have now lifted it from the oil sump. Do I need to lift it higher and then how do I put the crossmember and sprint back? Thanks.

Attachments

• 0DC90161-B079-44AD-8D7A-2BF1A9F065B7.jpeg
    0DC90161-B079-44AD-8D7A-2BF1A9F065B7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • F7F87F8B-7153-41F5-8604-CC1CE05A1BD6.jpeg
    F7F87F8B-7153-41F5-8604-CC1CE05A1BD6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 59
This is the current situation. I think I made a mistake of having the jack situated on the left and the engine leaned. I had no place where to put it since the cross member came off.
Have now lifted it from the oil sump. Do I need to lift it higher and then how do I put the crossmember and sprint back? Thanks.
from the pictures. Your engine seems too far out of the car. Can you push it forward?

Here is a picture of mine and you can see the engine is forward of the boot line.

Attachments

• IMG_8616.jpg
    IMG_8616.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
from the pictures. Your engine seems too far out of the car. Can you push it forward?

Here is a picture of mine and you can see the engine is forward of the boot line.
Many thanks. Yeah I see a difference in position. But how would I move it? And In which direction? What’s a good measure so I know I’m doing it right. Cheers

Back