Technical Remote Keyfob chip

Currently reading:
Technical Remote Keyfob chip

thespaceman

The buttons on the remote keyfob for our 2005 Panda fell out so I ordered a replacement case off ebay. It's the one with 3 buttons and the back cover is in two parts (battery cover).

After swapping over the circuit board and key blade the remote buttons all work fine but the car won't start as the immobiliser doesn't recognise the key. It was working fine before and this keyfob doesn't have a seperate immobiliser chip.

So I took the keyfob apart again and notice that the chip circled in the picture (attached) had been crushed as the slot in the new keyfob for the chip doesn't line up properly and needs to be cut to prevent this happening.

Does anyone know what this chip is and if it explains why the immobiliser doesn't recognise the key. The plastic cover of the chip is squashed and there appears to be a coil of wire under the cover.

What's the best option to fix this? Buy another genuine keyfob and re-program?

Attachments

• keyfob2.jpg
    keyfob2.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 135
I had my 2006 panda sporting remote re chipped and coaded as it would not start the car either :D

Cost about 35 at timpsons - they need all keys and car

Make sure you take your spare key too as it needs to be programmed back in when they add the new chip or it will no longer work.

It took some explaining that it was just the code 2 chip I needed as the remote opens the doors and the key turns in the lock.

The bit they programmed was like a lare glass pill that fits in the fob.

They can test the key if the existing chip is giving out a signal - mine was not - there was nothing in my fob lol.

Been OK for a few years now - there is a thread.

Last edited:
This is probably a bit late to be of help but. The bit you have crushed is the induction coil that powers the transponder and the key communicates with the car through. The actual transponder is the chip behind it marked pcf7941 which looks to be fine. You can either get the coil replaced or get a second hand remote and transfer the transponder chip across. Both options require good soldering skills.

Back