relationship question

Currently reading:
relationship question

how many of you have had a girlfriend/boyfriend who have gone away to uni and you've stayed with them?

my girlfriend is going to uni next week in derby (about an hours drive from me) and living there, she says she'd come back most weekends, but thats what my friends said and they only come back once every 2 months now!

yup, she left for college after one year of sixth form.
then I went to uni last year, and she finishs college this year.
we split up on distance grounds, and we'd both rather be 'free' thru uni :D

the only prob with uni is the walls are soo thin:cool:

When i moved away to Uni (only 40miles away from my home town) me and my boyfriend stayed together for 1 and half years whilst i was at Uni, then when i moved back home this year for my placement year we broke up!!!

oh mate, i think that if ur relationship is strong then u should be ok. how long have u2 been together? just think when she sees u u'l make her so happy that she wont stop thinking of u, but thats a my point of view at least its a womens view.

dan-the-man said:
how many of you have had a girlfriend/boyfriend who have gone away to uni and you've stayed with them?

my girlfriend is going to uni next week in derby (about an hours drive from me) and living there, she says she'd come back most weekends, but thats what my friends said and they only come back once every 2 months now!

Derby isnt to far away.... im sure u can do it in under an hour... could be worse she could be going somewhere much further away, If it was meant to be it will work hun (y) if not.. plenty more fish in the sea and all that

we've been together for 2 and a half years, but I was thinking is there any point? if we're only gonna see each other every other weekend? maybe it would be better in the long run if we broke up.

Plus I'm sure she'd rather be "free" through uni.

dan-the-man said:
we've been together for 2 and a half years, but I was thinking is there any point? if we're only gonna see each other every other weekend? maybe it would be better in the long run if we broke up.

Have you spoken to her about it? only see her every other weekend? would u not pop up to see her in the week if she`s only in Derby

You wait and see tbh don't break up cause it might be an issue, break up because it's an issue.... I've worked in Uni before (mainly been around PhD students not under-grads) and most of them have partners 1/2 way round the world and it works out most of the time.

me and stilosporting were having lets say a rough patch when i first started uni. at first we would just see each other weekends as i was staying in digs but then he would pop up thru the week for suprise visits etc.

and two years later we are living together and engaged. dont throw your relationship away without being 100% sure. 2 n 1/2 years is a long time. do you trust her etc?

maybe sit down and have a thorough chat with her about where you both want to go etc and then see.

I probably will give it a go, thing is when i was going out with my ex she lived quite far away (not as far as derby) and I hated it.

with my current g/f I've seen her practically everyday over the past 2 and a half years.

If it works then it works, if it doesn't then at least we've given it a try!

pmsl Steve, that was superb :D

Dan,i havent gone to uni and cant speak from my own experience, but i have mates that have been there, some have spit up just in case (ok so it wasnt the greeatest of relationships) and regreted it, ive had mates split and not regret it (slags in all honesty...) and ive had mates that have tried it and it has worked for them, along with the ones it hasnt worked for.

all id suggest is you and your better half sit down and talk it through, you may have hated the distance with your ex, but if this one means that much more to you then you wont notice it... the only way imo is to talk it through, but give it a go if your happy now

I drive between my girlfriend's home, her uni place, my home and the various places i work all the time. Probably rack up about 200-250 miles a week on average to see her. My point is that it can be done if you're prepared to make the effort! :D

Just give it a go. Don't worry about it. When my boyfriend was on deployment i missed him like mad. would of given anything to see him every other weekend! If your in love you will make it work. just remind each other how much you love each other, and in the mean time there are always emails, letters and interflora.

cazz said:
Just give it a go. Don't worry about it. When my boyfriend was on deployment i missed him like mad. would of given anything to see him every other weekend! If your in love you will make it work. just remind each other how much you love each other, and in the mean time there are always emails, letters and interflora.

I wasn't going to put this but she always moans to me about going on the fiatforum so i'll doubt she'll read it.

I'm not sure if I do love her anymore, I just don't seem to have them feelings for her anymore, i have feelings for her as in i care for her, but it's hard because if i did brake up with her then I know it would break her heart as I know she's still in love with me.

I just don't know what to do :cry:

Dan

dan-the-man said:

You suggesting she wants to sleep around? :eek: After 2 1/2 years I would have thought you were both be committed to your relationship?

I spent over a year driving down to Sheffield to see Bunny every weekend. Racked up the Shell Pluspoints (y) We now have a house together, a son who's a year this week and we're getting married this Saturday...

Back