Technical RECALL: Service Solution for Suspension Springs

Currently reading:
Technical RECALL: Service Solution for Suspension Springs

I just got my recall for this one mont ago. :D We might be pioneers on some areas, but getting FIAT service bulletins out in time is not first priority in Norway.

I got this too. Haven't bothered to do anything about it, though, as I already had the spring retainers fitted a few years ago on my own initiative. Does this recall cover anything else than the retainers?

Isn't there a time limit in which you need to go and install the certain spring retainer?

Neither of my Stilos have it installed, and I always thought it's too late anyway.

Don't know how it works in Romania. :confused:

Vehicles that are serviced or repaired at a Fiat dealer would have any recall work done while the vehicle was at the garage. The owner may never know that the work had been done.

For vehicles in the UK that never go to a Fiat dealer, and for emergency recalls, Fiat UK liaise with the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) and send letters to the registered owners of vehicles affected by a recall. If the owner doesn't respond to the letter, another letter will be sent to the new owner when the vehicle has been sold. I don't know how long this process continues for, but several people have said that they received a letter years after production of the Stilo had ended.

A few days ago one of the front springs broke on my second-hand '07 Stilo. I checked after reading about this recall and I have the "broken spring catchers" mounted (obviously the previous owner took care of that).

The car has 134kkm (83k miles) on the clock - I suppose I don't have any chance of getting new springs fitted for free?

The "catcher" did it's job though, this was found in there:

2miigth.jpg

Fiat will probably have a record of the cars that they sorted out during the recall, might be worth calling a dealer to check, if you car wasn't see if you can still have it done. Worst they can say is no and you're no worse off.

A few days ago one of the front springs broke on my second-hand '07 Stilo. I checked after reading about this recall and I have the "broken spring catchers" mounted (obviously the previous owner took care of that).

The car has 134kkm (83k miles) on the clock - I suppose I don't have any chance of getting new springs fitted for free?

The "catcher" did it's job though, this was found in there:

2miigth.jpg

The recall never was free replacement springs, it was to fit spring catchers incase of spring failure to prevent tires being punctured when the car is in use and serious accidents occurring.

The recall never was free replacement springs, it was to fit spring catchers incase of spring failure to prevent tires being punctured when the car is in use and serious accidents occurring.
Yes sadly that is the case... I just wanted to be sure, since some forum members successfully got new, free springs... I made a phone call and played dumb; no hurt in trying :D

Interestingly the mechanic that changed my springs said that the new ones won't break - I guess they've changed the design.
In any case, I fitted Lesjofors springs, which are supposed to be good. Maybe it's a placebo but to me it feels like the front of the car is now a bit less wobbly over bumps and that the springs are a bit stiffer. I guess they'll probably be softer after some driving, but I wouldn't mind if they stayed the way they are.

Last edited:
Regarding Fruchty's original post - when you said an '07 Stilo did you mean a 2007 model. If so that car was made way after the recall and should not have required the spring catcher mod.
Do you mean that they changed the design of the front suspension or that the cars had the "spring mod" from the factory?

Anyway, my Stilo is per registration papers a 2007 car, but it was made in 2006. This way I have an interesting combination of the old front grill and a new 150HP engine without the DPF filter.

The "spring catcher" mod was already on my car when I checked, but I'm not sure if the previous owner bought it like this or if he had to go to the dealer to get it fitted. Since it was bought in 2007 I guess he bought it with the mod already installed.

Last edited:
My car is november 2006 and its chassis number is later than the limit for the recall. It has no spring catcher mod. The factory must have changed the spring/cup arrangement at some time but as far as i know only dealers were instructed to fit the (rather crude) mod. I would say no 2006 cars were included in the recall, but check your chassis number and if it is higher than the one quoted earlier in this thread you can assume the mod was not required. By the way my car has the new front grill, as did most later 2006 Stilos.

Last edited:
My car is november 2006 and its chassis number is later than the limit for the recall. It has no spring catcher mod. The factory must have changed the spring/cup arrangement at some time but as far as i know only dealers were instructed to fit the (rather crude) mod. I would say no 2006 cars were included in the recall, but check your chassis number and if it is higher than the one quoted earlier in this thread you can assume the mod was not required. By the way my car has the new front grill, as did most later 2006 Stilos.
That's interesting, the production date of mine is January 2006 if the VIN decoders are to be trusted. Interesting that such an "old" car is regarded as a 2007 car :)
I'll check when I get home if it's shown in ePer what changes were made to the suspension on newer models.

And my car does fall into the VIN numbers that were recalled.

Last edited:
Back