Technical rear wheel prob

Currently reading:
Technical rear wheel prob

jimbojimwj

Noticed I had prob with rearwheel can fit fingers between wheel and wheel arch on one and the other one I carnt and I noticed on the one I carnt that the a bit of tyre wear
Any info what the prob is ?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ask your fat mate to get out of the car. :)
Then look for a broken rear spring. It might just be a spring has sagged with age.
Also rule out damaged suspension bushes and wobbly wheel bearings.
Check all four corners

went to kwick fit they had alook and said it is the bushes that are worn away
and advised me to get done asap
so now i need to know is it a job i could do or find a garage to fix it??

well im a novice and got limited pocket lol
thinking of buy parts atleast looking on here and ebay i dont know wat bushes to get

hi when you look at the back of the car do the wheels look like they are sloping outwards?

Last edited:
because of the design of the rear radius arms on a punto it can only be either the springs or the radius arm bushes that are are causing the problem, springs are not that expensive and are easy to fit, the radius arm is a different story as you have to remove all the rear brake components to remove it and put them on the replacement {iv`e just done both of mine} and don`t be tempted to buy the radius arm repair kits as they are a pain to fit and only last a few months.

hi when you look at the back of the car do the wheels look like they are sloping outwards?

only one is but not outward the drivers passagers rear tyre is rubbing against the wall u carnt put your fingers behind the wheel and tyre wall
like i said kwick fit said its the bushes the one on the rear is nearly gone and the one one the front is going they said front and back need replaceing and do the other side to

as Barbo says buy the complete arms not the kits
they used to be £35 complete, main problem was shearing bolts and the anti roll bar was best dropped down to aid removal/refitting
the hub nut can be removed and all the back plate with brakes with pipes and handbrake cable slid up to one side while doing these so saves lots of hassle

to be honest if you dont feel confident find a back street garage to do them they arent that difficult if you have big hammers and the knowledge

Parts can be got via eBay, Shop4 parts, EuroParts.

You will need a good quality metric 1/2" socket set with 1/2" drive. Get 6 point sockets not 12 point as the latter can slip and chew the corners off rusty nuts.

A good quality set of open/ring spanners (metric)

To remove the wheel bearings and hubs you need a long breaker bar. TBH one of these is always useful.

Ball pein hammer and drifts
4lb lump hammer

Set of good quality screwdrivers

Plus gas, grease anti seize paste/grease. brake fluid.

When you get the rear brakes apart you may find they are worn and parts need replacing so do them at the same time.

If this lot is too much get it done professionally

These two I been told need replacing
What are they called ?

Attachments

• IMAG0585.jpg
    IMAG0585.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0588.jpg
    IMAG0588.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
well all fix now and no more rubbing on the tire and no more noise on it now and only cost £140 labour and part

Back