Technical Rear shock absorber bush

Currently reading:
Technical Rear shock absorber bush

Fiatson

Just my first time on I have a 1.3 multijet in white with the red racing chequer so now you know the car. My question is I'm on with fixing the latest fault in the car which is my daily driver. Where can I get top shock absorber bushes my N/S/R has parted company with the securing bolt. I've had small FIATs most of my life 126 old 500 127 128 and 3P but these new ones are shocking for parts quality. 38K on the clock some would say not even run in!
So far I've had both front bottom arms replaced both wheel cylinder on the rear brakes, rear back box on the exhaust (Diesel as well! not petrol dripping water from cold), all the wiring out of the rear hatch to repair broken earth and repair five bare wires where the insulation had completely gone got to be a safety alert there? Clutch judder from nearly new getting worse when cold.Left rear hanbrake cable, door handle on driver's side. Oh and why I'm at it one key hole is a pain to open the passenger door as I use the key not the blipper; cheap jacks only give you one anyway. Oh and if I didn't have the wonderful FIAT ECU scan I hate to think how much getting the service light etc would have cost. One last thing any one else got pink stipes as mine are turning from red? If the car wasn't such a joy to drive I'd have bought myself another Passat estate and had a holiday on the money it's saved me.
Really, never be afraid to say the "Emperor is wearing no clothes"

Replace the dampers with some from a decent company like Bilstein and not the standard ones which are made by Leerdammer

but these new ones are shocking for parts quality.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but the 500 is made out of the kind of parts you'd expect on a £7000 new car, which (in basic form at least) is about what you'd pay for a Panda.

At that price it would still be good value; the problem with the 500 is that FIAT are charging top money for a bargain basement quality car. Fashionability & desirablilty means they can get away with it.

But for how long, I wonder?

Look at all the people posting on this forum, it'll be ok for another couple of years at least :)

In terms of residuals/really serious stuff I'd certainly agree, but the number of posts from people with less serious issues suggests to me that there's lots of folks who's experience of the 500 is less than ideal.

In this day and age, a car purchased new, sensibly driven & properly cared for really ought to be capable of running for at least 100,000 miles without needing anything beyond service parts. By that mileage, lots of folks will have needed to replace suspension parts, door handles, hatch wiring, exhausts & clutch hydraulics - on a £10k+ small car, I'd say that's not acceptable.

For the DIY inclined, and with the help of this good forum, I don't think there's anything particularly frightening or expensive lurking out there - but for those who insist on using the franchised dealer network, long term 500 ownership could turn out to be somewhat costly & frustrating.

Last edited:
Back