Technical Rear cylinder on MJ Panda?

Currently reading:
Technical Rear cylinder on MJ Panda?

Hi,

Has anyone replaced a brake cylinder on a multijet - or any ABS Panda?

It looks a tittle tricky getting a socket on the mount bolts behind the back plate. the stub axle seems to be in the way :confused:

Nothing like the pics in the haynes manual.

It's not an open ended spanner job is it? (n)

Thanks,
Louie.

Just replaced both of mine, but I'm afraid I can't be a lot of help as I've gone past the time where I like losing bits of finger nails and knuckles so I had it done at a local garage.

The whole job, 2 wheel cylinders plus some new lengths of brake lines cost £100 including labour, so it can't be that difficult. Lot's of jobs on cars are a pain in the backside because manufacturers design a car to be made and not repaired.

I got mine replaced a couple of weeks ago but I too used the garage option. Mine had been leaking into the rear drum which caused the shoe lining to break up and brake failure! :eek:
All despite having a "full" service just a few hundred miles earlier!

I did believe that this had been getting done all along. However it would appear that the only part of the brake system which got looked at was indeed inspected was the front discs and pads. The brake fluid itself was well past its change by the time of the brake failure. It was so bad that it could well have never been changed! And that type of a check definitely doesn't require much effort either.
The only bright side was that I didn't crash and my kids weren't with me when it happened.

Got one side done and started the other (y) was gonna leave it but it is just starting to leak too.

It can just be done without angle grinder or removing the back plate if you are lucky.

Can get a ring spanner on one bolt, but for the other it's an open ended spanner.

One end was just the right angle to get it turning, the other required open end on turned by a set of mole grips

I'm doing a few bits... New shoes, auto adjusters, drums, fitting kit (springs), cylinders and new handbrake cables for good measure :eek: Will post some pics later.

It looks like I may have to replace a brake pipe as it is twisting with the end(n) will know more later.

Last edited:
before

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_63451.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

After
IMG_6365.JPG

few more pics here
https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3781

Back