Technical Rear Boot alignment

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Boot alignment

Flo500

Good morning all,

My first post on here since picking up Flo!
She is a 1969 500 F, I beleive, fitted with 600cc 126 engine.

We have had a few adventures and frustrations already, (generated by a few bodged jobs from previous owners) but thanks to posts on here we have got her into a safe working condition.

Upon cleaning out the oil filter (which I may add was absolutly full!), I decided to replace the rear member as 2 of the captive bolts had sheared (1x someone before me, 1x myself).

Upon fitment of the new cross member I now have the difficult task of re-aligning the rear bonnet. I have dry fitted it and unfortuently it sits too far left, with the 2 parts of the hinges (1 on boot lid, 1 on cross member) hard up against each other.

Before I start removing material (with a file or grinder) does anyone have any tips, hints or recommendations I should try before doing doing something I regret?

Regards

Ewan

Without seeing the problem('live' or photos) it is difficult to advise. Where about do you live? It may be that you have Forum member who lives close to you and can come over to assist/advise.

Photos would be good. Much easier than words!
Can you measure how far left the hinges on the rear cross member are compared with the old one?

I would leave the bootlid hinges as they are, and move the cross member hinges so they are aligned with the old one. There are 2 or 3 spot weld per hinge you would need to drill out then re-weld.

At least you have the old cross member to compare against before committing to weld and since (I assume) the rear panel is due to be painted then you can tidy up the area before painting.

................2 of the captive bolts had sheared (1x someone before me, 1x myself).
if the original x member fitted fine and it is just a couple of sheared bolts... would it be the same effort to repair the old x member...
clearly the new panel is a repro, and I have a NOS one and compared to the repros the differences are easy to see...

I have 3 rear x members. They all fit differently.
You may need to elongate the holes that the studs go through which will lift or drop the x member.
Most of the reasons they don't fit is because the hinges are in a different place.
As other members have advised, photos or video would be helpful

Back