Technical Rear Axle Bushes Support Bracket.

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Axle Bushes Support Bracket.

ruis

So am changing the rear axle and thought about changing the rear bushes as well, removed the brackets and realised eLearn says you need a special support to hold the brackets when replacing. Is this absolutely necessary?

So is there a technique for fixing the brackets? Do I need the special support or can I just measure where it should be and tighten? Or do I need to go to Fiat..

Saw the powerflex YouTube video and they didn't seem to do anything about aligning the bracket. But maybe that wasn't a Punto as the vid is for Corsa D, Mito and Punto.

Old Axle was completely shot loads of rust, holes. But in theory could measure old axle support and get it pretty much the same on both sides, maybe good enough?

Bushes in replacement axle seem ok, lots of tension. Still haven't finished treating and painting the axle seen in pics. eLearn procedure in picture. Not found anything else about them.

Attachments

• tempImageJZ1ine.png
    tempImageJZ1ine.png
    16.3 MB · Views: 170
  • tempImageB7SetX.png
    tempImageB7SetX.png
    15.9 MB · Views: 44
  • tempImageQWGjXC.png
    tempImageQWGjXC.png
    11.6 MB · Views: 41
  • tempImageqwYwf2.png
    tempImageqwYwf2.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 11.03.46.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 11.03.46.png
    261.5 KB · Views: 55
Read carefully, eLearn shows you big frame tool to hold the whole axle and brackets. You are posting here one picture only (we have eLearn too).
Purpose of the tool is to keep alignment of the axle (it should be checked anyway after the job), or rather parts of the axle in relation to each other (brackets/bushings) than axle to the body.
Yes I know, some will argue that "rear axle is not adjustable". But the mounting bolt holes have some play and that's enough to spoil front-to-rear relations.

You can attempt to swap the axle and/or bushings without any special gizmos. There are general rules to any rubber-metal bushings (in this case it's a rubber-plastic, but that doesn't matter). "Powerflex" is completely different in nature, it can spin, so you don't care about "clocking" it.
Metal-rubber can be damaged if installed incorrectly (classic mistake done by amateurs all around the world - tightening all bolts while suspension is hanging freely).
There are threads about it. Don't start new one every time! SEARCH (phrase "rear axle bushings"). Forums, YouTube...
Example: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/rear-bridge.491309/#post-4620633

thanks for the reply I did indeed search before. There is little on the subject. There is no measurement I can find for the angle or distance for the bush brackets. I have the old axle off now and the bushes are so shot that they are free to move, so no measuring from that. Anyone got one they can measure for me? Or what shall I do.

Attachments

• tempImageKi0u8T.png
    tempImageKi0u8T.png
    18.4 MB · Views: 51
  • tempImage3O4Kwl.png
    tempImage3O4Kwl.png
    20.2 MB · Views: 47
Back