Technical Rear light cluster

Currently reading:
Technical Rear light cluster

stevesmith1507

Hello,

I have an 09 punto grande and the other day i noticed my warning light came up for "check stop lights" then disappeared again, then my left rear turn signal warning light came on and then went again, and its been doing that on and off whilst driving. No bulbs blown. I took off the cluster to have a look and i'm not sure if one of the pins in the light housing has melted, its quite hard to see. Any obvious causes for this at all and solutions please? many thanks :)

Solution
You can clean the contacts on the cluster, they're probably covered in a white scaly substance. If that doesn't work you can *ever so gently* bend a pin on the cluster up or down a *tiny amount*. Make sure you know which pin to bend - not them all! It needs to correspond to the faulty bulb. Don't break the pins or you'll be buying a new cluster.
You can clean the contacts on the cluster, they're probably covered in a white scaly substance. If that doesn't work you can *ever so gently* bend a pin on the cluster up or down a *tiny amount*. Make sure you know which pin to bend - not them all! It needs to correspond to the faulty bulb. Don't break the pins or you'll be buying a new cluster.

Solution
managed to clean the contacts a lot yesterday and since then there doesnt seem to be any issues/warning lights at the moment so it might have fixed it, Thanks for the help, Anthony

Iv dealt with this problem after water got in to the cluster. It corroded the terminal connectors which went green and burnt out the ground wire. I bought a new connector off eBay- cleaned up connector harness and still had the same issue- i then bought a another cluster, again off eBay and it solved the problem.

Turned out the ground terminal had melted and connected itself to the others which sent the dashboard into Christmas lights mode and after a couple of minutes it would kill the power to the cluster leaving me without any lights on that corner…

Been fine since and bulbs last longer now too!

I've got the same issue, '08 plate, nsr indicator not working and osr side/brake out.... if a clean doesn't work, how do you know which pin to ever so lightly bend, please?

You have to look at the metal plate holding the bulbs. Its a metal circuit board. Each bulb has a separate positive but a common negative. I can't tell you which ones to bend because i don't know, you'll have to look and work it out by following the circuit.

You can buy new connectors online fleabay and such for not a lot- I tried bending and repairing pins but they seem to be made out of an oxidising metal and become brittle and break or they merge together with corrosion and become one pin which throws the computer out!

Back