Technical read the forums, STIIL WON'T START, any ideas?

Currently reading:
Technical read the forums, STIIL WON'T START, any ideas?

well I came, I saw and sadly I did not fix :(

timed the engine correctly but the compression was just lifting on my tester.

now we came to the conclusion that because the valve seats have been ground and changed, the shims are now pressing down and holding the valves open. you cant get a feeler gauge between the cam and shim.

so we think that it needs shorter shims, or have the ones he has now machined down slightly.

does anybody know where fiatpanda80 can get shorter shims?

also, get a members motors thread up ;)

his car is a very nice CLX, same colour as my Marbella Red with 73k miles L reg.... Never been welded, and rust free! :eek::slayer:
very nice panda!

Thanks for the visit DM, yes just confirming what we thought, if anyone has a notion of where to obtain these shims or indeed how to fabricate them would be most helpful. Thank you to all of you who have posted or have been in contact via other means, it really is appreciated. Phase 2 coming up, and yes I will indeed post about our 'Fly' in the near future.

you do know the auxiliary pulley only goes on one way to make it work?

pin an hole

pin_n_hole.JPG

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
engine rebuilding engineering shops will have shim grinders to make shims thinner, normally cost a couple of packets of biscuits

090421091422.png

take the shims in envelopes, write on each one what size you want the shim to be.

Last edited:
If you have trouble getting Fiat shims thin enough I seam to remember someone posting that VW shims fit.
Grinding a little off the top of the valve stem will give similar results.

P.S. Well done John, this really did need someone to check this out in the flesh.

Last edited:
well I came, I saw and sadly I did not fix :(

timed the engine correctly but the compression was just lifting on my tester.

now we came to the conclusion that because the valve seats have been ground and changed, the shims are now pressing down and holding the valves open. you cant get a feeler gauge between the cam and shim.

so we think that it needs shorter shims, or have the ones he has now machined down slightly.

does anybody know where fiatpanda80 can get shorter shims?

also, get a members motors thread up ;)

his car is a very nice CLX, same colour as my Marbella Red with 73k miles L reg.... Never been welded, and rust free! :eek::slayer:
very nice panda!

Re:shims, Ricambio spares in surrey,
JBS spares manchester,
But, I know you would have to work out the thickness needed, were you aware the engineering shop had cut the valve seats so deep?

Hello all :), Before I start can I thank every one that has been involved with this 'head scratcher', for Dragonman taking time to visit and confirm or thoughts, Allen for his undercover work,a massive thank you to Euro Car Care (Derby) for letting me walk out of their garage with about 600 different sized shims and by no means last my bro who without him guiding me through this difficult and emotional period. The 'Fly' is now fully operational and is running very well, not only did we manage to change the head but also replaced all belts, liquids, plugs and water pump and still for less than the garage price. Ok it took a while but why rush. Once I have my hands on a laptop I will post the process.Thanks again. Stu

Back