General Rain and Darkness sensors failure

Currently reading:
General Rain and Darkness sensors failure

m lukanoff

Hi everyone! :) I have Stilo Abarth 2002 and that annoying error message Rain sensor/Darkness sensor!!!When i`ve bought the car the sensor worked just fine till now!One day i just started the car and the error message showed!No windscreen changed!Help please :)

m lukanoff,

I have had the same warning but only very occasionally and found that it cleared by just turning engine off and on again. TBH I dont find the rain sensors are not very good as they never really select the right speed. I'd prefer a adjustable wheel/dial for intermitant wipe like the new Fords have so you can select the speed yourself.

The auto lights are even worse, always on even in bright sunshine......glad I didnt pay for the option from new

You can disable the function of rain-dusk sensor using MES. Then execute the PROXI procedure and this sensor shouldn't send any other messages.

Or try with a different sensor(from another Stilo).

It seems the sensor works!Yesterday it was raining and the automatic wipers does their job :) but the message stays :( and followed by the new error loose connection :X any ideas D4 connector maybe???I cleaned it with contact cleaner but every now and then loose connection error came up and the car won`t start!Removing the battery negative for 10mins saved me twice but for how long i don`t know...

I find the rain sensor good as it suits the intermittent showers we tend to get when it does rain. I find I need to adjust the sensitivity to suit the type of rain (misty or large droplets)
If you are having trouble with these sensors are you just having low battery voltage issue as that can cause miscellaneous errors.
Have a look at whether there is a common plug for these.
There hasn't been much mention of them so one would assume they are reasonably reliable.

The problem is getting worse the loose connection message keeps popup!I can't drive the car now,it just won't start!Please help!Removing the battery negative solved the problem but only for about 10mins and then the loose connection pops and the car stall

The problem is getting worse the loose connection message keeps popup!I can't drive the car now,it just won't start!Please help!Removing the battery negative solved the problem but only for about 10mins and then the loose connection pops and the car stall

Charge the battery and check its overall condition with a drop test (y)

Hi :) After investigation nothing was found,now the car stalls every 5 mins for no reason :( But yesterday i`ve unplugged the ecu and cheked the number on it and it`seems the ecu is from a 1.6 Stilo :yuck: When i bought the car the spak plugs was for 1.6 as well!!!I changed the spark plugs reacently!Could this be releated somehow to my problems???
And the other thing is that after i cleaned the ecu connectors...no more rain sensor darkness sensor error message!

Last edited:
interesting im getting the same problem, wouldn't start and then rain and darkness errors. had batt checked 60% but I might stick it on charge. Load of strange faults and it wouldnt start this morning, seems like I need crank sensor too I was already thinking that

Back