R.I.P. Maggie

Currently reading:
R.I.P. Maggie

if there is a place for the good and a place for the bad she wont get into either they will all be arguing about it too.

bloke on the news reckons people will still be arguing the toss in 100 years, wonder if thread will be dead by then :chin:
Not if I have anything to say about it. I'll end up quoting myself, and not for the first time I hear you say.

What with Thatchers 80th birthday (when will the witch ever die?) and this post over at Stumbling and Mumbling, it seemed as good a time as ever to dig out this old article of mine about why I hate her so much.

20 REASONS WHY I HATE THATCHER

5. Destruction of local democracy. The beauty of not having a written constitution, having the backing of the press, having a massive majority in parliament (despite only getting 42% of the vote, less than 1 in 3 of the electorate) and having a permanent inbuilt Tory hereditory second chamber is that Tory PMs can do whatever they like. If you dont like local democracy because they vote for someone else, just abolish it like Thatcher did and centralise everything from Whitehall and unelected Quangos who you carefully select. (Yes, Thatcher invented Quncreased massively under Thatcher to fund income tax cuts for the rich.
Conversely, the beauty of actually having a written constitution is that it can be subverted. That Mr. Hitler you mentioned earlier managed to subvert the Weimar Constitution by dint of his "people" set fire to the Reischtag. 42% of the vote implies more than 1 in 3 of the electorate. Unless you are comparing the percentage of those who voted, as opposed to those who were eligible to vote. As it's often been said that a low turnout favours the Tories, perhaps those who hated Thatcher should have got off their collective backsides and voted

Conversely, the beauty of actually having a written constitution is that it can be subverted. That Mr. Hitler you mentioned earlier managed to subvert the Weimar Constitution by dint of his "people" set fire to the Reischtag. 42% of the vote implies more than 1 in 3 of the electorate. Unless you are comparing the percentage of those who voted, as opposed to those who were eligible to vote. As it's often been said that a low turnout favours the Tories, perhaps those who hated Thatcher should have got off their collective backsides and voted
I inadvertently deleted part of simmo999's post where he mourned the loss of the former GLC. I can't speak for that particular organisation, but Greater Manchester also had a similar organisation, the GMC. Unfortunately it simply duplicated the functions of the Metropolitan Councils in almost every way. The only parts of the GMC that still live on in the form of the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities AGMA are traffic lights and refuse disposal where they operate local tips and run the trains for removal of the rubbish. It was a bit like the EU to a certain extent whereby the councils gave them money for them to spend in the councils' own areas.

Otherwise it was simply a method of spending (wasting) money. They were responsible for some country parks, Werneth Low near me being one, but I can't remember any others. They also converted the virtually abandoned Central Station in to the G-MEX exhibition and concert venue, although the privately funded MEN Arena has superceded it where concerts are concerned.

There might be a requirement for some sort of regional body to co-ordinate certain kinds of co-operation between local authorities, but not the kind of additional level of beuraucracy that was seen in organisations such as the GMC

we are under more pressure from "inappropriate" immigration than ever before. We have Lithuanian shop lifting gangs robbing duty free shops while travelling on tickets bought with stolen credit card details. The last Labour government were the only EU national leadership to allow complete, unrestricted immigration from the "Accession States".

"We are under attack of paedophiles and binge-drinking chavs from the UK. We have heroin-addicts moving from UK to CZ, who organize supply of prostitutes from India/Bangladesh to local brothels. This is the result of ability to move unrestrictedly within EU." Said local Communist MP (fortunately, they became very marginal party.)
Dig it?

Last edited:
Ding dong the witch is dead.

Only 2 weeks late:-

Thanks+guys+for+all+the+toenail+clippings+_901c3f8412e8fefe85969f70e887f593.gif

Back