Quaife ATB/LSD for Cinq/Sei,GP,Panda...

Currently reading:
Quaife ATB/LSD for Cinq/Sei,GP,Panda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the diff does make the steering very heavy. thats why i fitted pas to my cinq.

can be scary at times. like you found it causes the car to pull depending on what wheel as more traction.
the other day i came around a real tight bend and boost came in as i left the bend, must of been a bit of damp road near the curb so the car pulled to the curb very quickly! letting of the throttle loosens the diff and all is good, it sure gets you going tho :)

also I had my flywheel lightened, never felt anything differant

Last edited:
Have to say I concur with the findings of the last two posts.

Understeer off the throttle is still catching me out and almost ended in trouble the other day whilst on one of those huge roundabouts off a motorway slip road at 2am. When no ones about, you can really motor around them and forget you are still doing motorway speeds. I did this and came off the throttle quite hard and got savage understeer that nearly sent me into a barrier. Must learn to not panic in those situations and just feather the throttle, but old FWD habits die hard. Also must not drive around roundabouts so fast and save it for the track. ;)

Hooray!!!

I've now fitted the 190mm lightened flywheel with an uprated clutch & the new Quaife Diff in a Mpi Seicento Sporting box using Strongflex mount inserts.

First impressions are that the diff makes a big difference during hard cornering :D

Glad you got the box fitted & are happy with the diff & the service we provided.

Aaron

A basic diff is MUCH cheaper, but spins when you hit water with one wheel so the car goes one way and then it yanks back the other way when the spinning tyre grips again. A Quaife diff will reduce the effect without the sudden lurching and refusals to steer caused by the old clutch type self locking diffs.

A basic diff is MUCH cheaper, but spins when you hit water with one wheel so the car goes one way and then it yanks back the other way when the spinning tyre grips again. A Quaife diff will reduce the effect without the sudden lurching and refusals to steer caused by the old clutch type self locking diffs.
I wouldn't get an LSD for this reason. The car pulls because the water is resistant and it decelerates (brakes) that wheel. It "yanks back" because of your steering compensation when you get grip back. My Quaife diff has made no real difference to the effect you describe. In terms of safety and ease of driving, the LSD is certainly not better than the normal diff, particularly when pushed or used under specific conditions like pulling out of a junction with a lot of lock on, etc. Sure, you get used to all the effects, but it ain't no safety aid.

Are you in the market? Noticed on or two on eBay in last year. Don't have one for sale BTW.
I was just looking at bits for the Subaru and somehow managed to end up on the Quaife site and was just looking out of curiosity.

I wouldn't get an LSD for this reason. The car pulls because the water is resistant and it decelerates (brakes) that wheel. It "yanks back" because of your steering compensation when you get grip back. My Quaife diff has made no real difference to the effect you describe. In terms of safety and ease of driving, the LSD is certainly not better than the normal diff, particularly when pushed or used under specific conditions like pulling out of a junction with a lot of lock on, etc. Sure, you get used to all the effects, but it ain't no safety aid.

I realise one wheel dragging through water will always pull the car in that direction and a no diff can do anything for that.

In my case the car only pulled slightly to the puddle side, but as the wheel spun up, I lost drive on the "dry" side. The spinning wheel then came out of the puddle grabbed some grip and yanked me towards the kerb. I'd hope an LSD would have helped reduce the violent on off grip. I guess its down to how the diff is "tuned" for slippage.

I realise one wheel dragging through water will always pull the car in that direction and a no diff can do anything for that.

In my case the car only pulled slightly to the puddle side, but as the wheel spun up, I lost drive on the "dry" side. The spinning wheel then came out of the puddle grabbed some grip and yanked me towards the kerb. I'd hope an LSD would have helped reduce the violent on off grip. I guess its down to how the diff is "tuned" for slippage.

The tyres were 50% worn so not perfect but in no way near the limit.

Personally I feel in that situation you just need to slow down, it's been pissing down here for the last hour and I'm not going to go barrelling around corners close to the kerb and risk a massive aquaplaning moment. My 500 is far better in terms of aquaplaning when it's got its winter tyres on, in fact they are nothing short of epic, you drive through huge puddles and that whole feeling of having the brakes applied on one side of the car feeling is gone. Perhaps choose a tyre which performs better in straightline aquaplaning tests :)

Just a matter of intrest really, at what power would you think that an LSD is needed.

Just a matter of intrest really, at what power would you think that an LSD is needed.
One is handy with 45HP if you have a 999cc Panda and just love to go around roundabouts fast or take it on trackdays. It is not the power that creates the requirement, it is the usage of the vehicle. The more power you have, the more you might notice it not going down through corners in comparison to straights. Turbo cars can benefit more in general due to an increased reliance on traction due to their high torque output. Suspension and tyres are the first port of call for these sort of traction problems though.

FIAT/Abarth obviously don't think it's needed up to 200BHP with the driving expectations of their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back