Quaife ATB/LSD for Cinq/Sei,GP,Panda...

Currently reading:
Quaife ATB/LSD for Cinq/Sei,GP,Panda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently still waiting to find out if the complete bolted diff/crownwheel part available from FIAT for a 1108 Sei 46810249 has a crownwheel that will fit into the Quaife Diff directly.

Unsurprisingly it is taking forever to turn up!!! :cry:

If it won't fit would you be willing to point me in the right direction to help me get mine machined up the same way - how much do you mean by "as expensive" literally around £575? :eek:

Thick end of £500, yup.

Cheers

D

It will help because it stops the non gripping wheel from spinning so you dont get the power lurch and the revs wont scream as the wheel spins. With a Quaife - if the revs do go up you've lost grip on both sides !!!

Are the new 6-speed box short ratio tho ?

Ming

I was concerned about the ratio matching up with the fact that I'm sticking to 13" wheels - all the 6-speeds appear to be fitted with 14" wheels.

Also wondered if changing the gearbox to a 6-speed would affect the correct output of the speedo as I still haven't taken time to properly understand how they are assembled?

Still waiting for the Diff package # 46810249 RAPP 58/15 V22 D5416 01 C61

Research Nuneaton just keep telling me they don't know why the order is taking so long & I'm getting sick of waiting now as I have the ca$h to cover it & have run out of other jobs to do!!! :bang:

On the ePer version that is running on here it is listed for just under £160 so the price appears to has gone through the roof now as I've been quoted around £450.

Seeing as this has come to life again, I have driven our Cinq now which is fitted with the LSD, and its brilliant, traction is just excellent now, though if you read our thread the car has had substantial work done on it in other areas which will contribute to the cars overall effect.

To the above, at this rate it may have been much quicker and possibly cheaper to track down a known to work 6speed box.

Last edited:
Seeing as this has come to life again, I have driven our Cinq now which is fitted with the LSD, and its brilliant, traction is just excellent now, though if you read our thread the car has had substantial work done on it in other areas which will contribute to the cars overall effect.

It's amazing how quickly all the little bits add up to make a big difference. I had the front suspension on the wifes Subaru polybushed and new balljoints put in and the car so is much more willing to change direction and the steering is a lot better. Will be a crapload better once the tie rod ends and rack ends get done and it gets some new boots on the front and the tracking done.

Almost makes me want to start doing stuff to the 500 :)

To the above, at this rate it may have been much quicker and possibly cheaper to track down a known to work 6speed box.

I would be tempted but I'm planning on sticking to 13" wheels though for now (have got 8 of those Speedlines after getting the spare set from you Aaron) & have 2 of the 5 speed gearboxes so was I expecting to order the part & then get it fittied into my original box from my old car which got scrapped.

What put me off the 6-speed is that I was concerned that the ratios of a 6-speed would be cause an issue with the speedo reading out?

Last edited:
hi guy's,
as a few of you seem to have these quaife boxes i thought i would try and be helpful, i supply 99% of the bearings and gaskets to quaife for there gearboxes, as you proberbly know Quaife only use top quality bearings i.e TIMKEN/INA/FAG or SKF if you need any of these bearings in the future please contact me, you can even check my price against Quaife's ;)
this is not spam i normally post on the ulysse forum, but i saw this tread and thought it might help some of you in the future

Thanks Paul. You might want to talk to the moderators and put in an advert as threads eventually get lost in the murk.

To the person who asked if an LSD will help fix the scary effect of hitting water with one wheel - Yes a Quaife type will be good, they dont lock suddenly but they do stop the one wheel from spinning and grabbing as happens when one hits water at speed.

Nothing however can stop the drag effect of water on one side of the car, but a Quaife will make it much less nasty.

Still waiting for the Diff package # 46810249 RAPP 58/15 V22 D5416 01 C61

Research Nuneaton just keep telling me they don't know why the order is taking so long & I'm getting sick of waiting now as I have the ca$h to cover it & have run out of other jobs to do!!! :bang:

On the ePer version that is running on here it is listed for just under £160 so the price appears to has gone through the roof now as I've been quoted around £450.

Has arrived - cost was £424.01 & that's with quite a full on discount for the fact it took about 6 months to turn up!!! :cool:

Now I have to get the bolts holding the crownwheel on the diff undone - can't get to a vice today so I'll be using a long bar & gallons of penetrant tomorrow :slayer:

I would be tempted but I'm planning on sticking to 13" wheels though for now (have got 8 of those Speedlines after getting the spare set from you Aaron) & have 2 of the 5 speed gearboxes so was I expecting to order the part & then get it fittied into my original box from my old car which got scrapped.

What put me off the 6-speed is that I was concerned that the ratios of a 6-speed would be cause an issue with the speedo reading out?

Only just read and is too late now you finally have the part (odd it took so long), but a 1.4 16v 500 'pop' (only) model has a high final ratio (same as the highest 5 speed box of newer era (3.8:1). This offers a very tall 6th gear and also a good taller-than-any-5-speed-box 1st gear with close 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Ultimate combo for most modded cars, unless anyone else knows better.

Only just read and is too late now you finally have the part (odd it took so long), but a 1.4 16v 500 'pop' (only) model has a high final ratio

Just out of curiosity but why the pop? Does it really have a different box to the lounge and sport? Not doubting you, just don't see why Fiat would fit a different box :)

Same box, just different final ratio of course. I suppose it is to help distinguish the models and make it less sporty and have better MPG figures instead. Check out the attached from the FIAT eLearn CD. They could be lying and it may not be in the UK. It's a tricky one, as these things can't be found out on ePer as I discussed before in a really boring gearbox final drive thread.

Above where I said 3.8:1 I meant 3.4:1 ;)

Attachments

• final drive 500.gif
    final drive 500.gif
    28 KB · Views: 87
Same box, just different final ratio of course. I suppose it is to help distinguish the models and make it less sporty and have better MPG figures instead. Check out the attached from the FIAT eLearn CD. They could be lying and it may not be in the UK. It's a tricky one, as these things can't be found out on ePer as I discussed before in a really boring gearbox final drive thread.

Above where I said 3.8:1 I meant 3.4:1 ;)
Interesting!!! :)

Hooray!!!

I've now fitted the 190mm lightened flywheel with an uprated clutch & the new Quaife Diff in a Mpi Seicento Sporting box using Strongflex mount inserts.

First impressions are that the diff makes a big difference during hard cornering :D

Best example I've noticed so far is turning out at T-junctions - you can really feel it pull the car round with little understeer. Haven't felt the effect on wet weather handling yet but in a straight line under power over rough roads you can feel the car being effected by whichever wheel has the most traction, where it would usually head straight with momentum it pulls ever so slightly side to side. :)

Does seem to weight the steering up slightly & it can be surprising when giving it a lot of lock how quickly you have to wind the steering back as it swing round! :slayer:

Downsides - well, I haven't really felt a downside to the diff at all yet but the yellow strongflex mount inserts make the car vibrate like mad & everything is massively louder than before to the point of being annoying!!! (n)

Flywheel at around 5Kg doesn't have that much of a noticeable effect compared to the standard weight. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back