Technical Punto transmission refit problem

Currently reading:
Technical Punto transmission refit problem

spizzle

Just refitted the transmission on my MkI after replacing the driveshaft oil seals. Started it up and there was a horrible grinding noise like a hammer drill on a brick wall.
I'm suspecting either a foreign object got into the bellhousing or I've not fitted the starter correctly.
Just wondering if I've missed anything here the noise is there with the clutch either engaged or disengaged. I'm really loathe to take the gearbox off again and am considering scrapping it. Any ideas will be really welcome. Oh and I didn't touch the clutch

does your bellhousing have the rubber seal in the hole on the top?? Mine is missing and i have before dropped a bolt in there by accident (most frustrating moment i tell thee!!)

the thin metal cover right at the bottom can be removed with everything still in situ, take that off and as above check its not bent but you can try shine a torch in the and try have a look for any foreign objects - if you see any chances are you'll need to drop box again to get it though.

Back