Technical Punto mk1 85sx starting issues

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk1 85sx starting issues

salv121

Hi Guys,

Intermittently recently I'm having problems with my car starting, I've noticed that when turning the key just so that the ignition is on there will be a whiney noise, I've only presumed maybe the fuel pump priming? When I don't hear this noise and turn the key to start the engine, it will crank fine but will not fire. I have to turn the key to the off position and back to the ignition position until I hear that whiney noise, then It will fire up upon starting.

Thanks for your help!

Haven't noticed whether it has illuminated before, just checked but at the moment its working fine so I'll have to check when it doesn't start. I'll keep posted, thanks for the help guys!

Just went to start the car, it made the noise I was talking about but when fully turned the key the engine was just cracking and not firing up. I noticed the code light turns on as during the first stage of turning the key then goes off, even if the engine does not fire. The engine eventually fired after turning the ignition on and off around 4 times. Quite annoying!

I come to think of that earlier, the noise seems to be more to the front so could rule out the priming. I'm going to see tomorrow if I can get the ECU read for any fault codes. Crank position sensor maybe? Not recognising where the crank shaft is?

I come to think of that earlier, the noise seems to be more to the front so could rule out the priming. I'm going to see tomorrow if I can get the ECU read for any fault codes. Crank position sensor maybe? Not recognising where the crank shaft is?

it is plasuable to be honest
the sensor could be Dying so you have a signal one time, not the next

Have you had the car just randomly just die on you at all??

ziggy

Back