Technical punto 1.2 sporting 1998 keeps dying when driving

Currently reading:
Technical punto 1.2 sporting 1998 keeps dying when driving

mex87

hi there like the title says my car keeps dying when im driving and wont restart again 4 bout 15-20mins.also the the injector light stays on when it wont restart .it drives fine just keeps dying.!!!!
ive changed the battery so it isnt that..PLS HELP ME I CANT DRIVE MY CAR LIKE THIS!!!!:bang::bang::bang::bang::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!!

code read???

3rd gear usually wen it dies or wen i pull up 2 traffic lights.its messed up because if i leave it 15-20mins, it will jus start again drive 4 about 20-30 mins die again..my m8s comin round l8a wiv a volt metre fingy ,see wots getn power and wots not..im betting fuel relay hoping nothing serious i can still here the fuel pump working tho .oh yer i also have a alarm fitted cood this b effecting it in any way just wondering i dout it tho cos it always had it...

depending on the alarm fitted if it has an immobaliser as well it could be cutting the fuel pump, what your mate is going to do with a volt meter i don't know because unless he has an advanced knowledge of the electrical system of your car how does he know what should or shouldn't be getting power on what leads and at what voltage, this sounds like a damaged ECU waiting to happen as he probes about on the live electrical system shorting things with his meter.

take it somewhere to get the ECU fault codes read, or buy the kit to do it.

and i completely agree with what Fingers99 Said please don't use 'street' speak people from other countries read these forums, and apart from being indecipherable if english is your first language let alone your second, it also makes us brits look too stupid to read and write our own language.

Sounds like the common crank/rpm sensor going open circuit (no signal) when hot issue. Once the engine cools for 20 mins, the sensor starts working again, then it gets hot and fails, and the cycle starts again.

im jamaican .lol.ah dis how mi talk, mea talk english fi u lot 2 understand...so how im writing 2 u lot is good enough.lol.and nuff people a rite txt msg slang im 25 im not a kid and wrk a good job hava house(rent) n responsibilities just quicker 2 type dis way and its how i talk .my grandad txt me same way his 67.lol.get wid da times :) ..

anyway yer my m8 bring a fault code ting but it didnt fit my car im takin it 2 his wrk shop on the weekend,he finks it crank sensor 2.thanks 4 all da replys sorry about my spellin.lol.

if it nah make it mi soon cum = IF I DOESNT WORK ILL BE BACK ON THE FORUM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS !!!!

im jamaican .lol.ah dis how mi talk, mea talk english fi u lot 2 understand...so how im writing 2 u lot is good enough.lol.and nuff people a rite txt msg slang im 25 im not a kid and wrk a good job hava house(rent) n responsibilities just quicker 2 type dis way and its how i talk .my grandad txt me same way his 67.lol.get wid da times :).

As pointed out this has nothing to do 'with the times' or anything else you've mentioned above!

People from all over the world visit this forum using the common language of English, it is respectful to speak it so that they might learn something from these threads, google translate and bable fish can translate propperly writter english but not what you've written.
We're not being funny, or awkward it is a requirement of the site to not post in this manner and if you continue to do so there are a lot of members who will not reply to your posts in future which could mean you losing out on the help you need, so do your self a favor and if you have and pride in your heritage or country (and self respect) use the English you were taught.

im not from here so i am sum1 from who is from a different part of the world. we are not taugh to talk or speak the same way as you....go on youtube and listen 2a real jamaican talk .ive lost my national tough alot BUT MEA STILL TALK LIKE MEA BK YARD WEN MI WANT!!!.LOL....I DO UNDERSTAND WHAT UR SAYIN BUT UVE GOTA C WERE IM COMIN FROM..ITS NOT ENGLAND.we talk patois not english...NOT TRYING 2 START AN ARGUMENT !!!!!..thanks 4 your advice !!!!

Last edited:
im not from here so i am sum1 from who is from a different part of the world. we are not taugh to talk or speak the same way as you....go on youtube and listen 2a real jamaican talk .ive lost my national tough alot BUT MEA STILL TALK LIKE MEA BK YARD WEN MI WANT!!!.LOL....I DO UNDERSTAND WHAT UR SAYIN BUT UVE GOTA C WERE IM COMIN FROM..ITS NOT ENGLAND.we talk patois not english...NOT TRYING 2 START AN ARGUMENT !!!!!..thanks 4 your advice !!!!

We know where you are coming from, and we hope you know where we are coming from too. What if one of your Jamican brothers cannot read english very well and has the same problem as you? If you used the correct grammer, he could possibly translate this page and resolve his problem. Your approach will not allow that, it also makes it difficult to understand exactly what you mean and it also makes it more difficult to help you. It's nothing to do with race or even being located in England, I'm Irish by the way...when you type correctly it just makes it easier on the eyes.

As the above poster has already mentioned, if you simply refuse do this, then people will refuse to help you. As you can probably see no one has responded to your last comment for some time and the reason is because your grammer.

Peace.

ill try rite best english i can...i just start my car and waited for it to cut out..when it did i see that a little bit of smoke was coming out of the radiator (wasnt there before it stalled)...the problems there i recken...just foned fiat glen hopkin they wanted £95 2 do a diagnostic.fink ill just take it there next week some time see whats wrong and fix it myself.dont wana just buy a new raditor and hope 4 the best.rather no what parts 2 buy 1st.

Last edited:
ill try rite best english i can...i just start my car and waited for it to cut out..when it did i see that a little bit of smoke was coming out of the radiator (wasnt there before it stalled)...the problems there i recken...just foned fiat glen hopkin they wanted £95 2 do a diagnostic.fink ill just take it there next week some time see whats wrong and fix it myself.dont wana just buy a new raditor and hope 4 the best.rather no what parts 2 buy 1st.

Thanks for understanding, and it's much easier to read what you you write, thus making it easier to help....

It sounds like your car is overheating. The fact that you say it seems to occur at traffic lights and when you leave it for 30 mins it will run again for a little while before the same thing happens. The 'smoke' you describe exiting from the radiator would also back this up. When you're driving the car in 3rd gear @ 4k RPM, there will be much more pressure and you may not realise how much coolant is being lost from this 'smoke'

Ok, firstly...how much coolant is in the tank when the engine is cold, and also are you losing any coolant at all?

Is the smoke coming from somewhere on the radiator itself, the bled screw or the cap? If there is 'smoke' coming from the radiator, it's more likely hot steam/water vapour. Anyway, it's not good for the engine, and over a long drive it could basically drain of the coolant and cause the car to overheat.

When you start the car and allow it to tick over, does the radiator fan come on at all? When the water gets too hot, the fan should come on and cool it down, if it does not come on, then the water can boil over, increase pressure and force itself out of the radiator cap which the cap is designed to do.

Anyway, I wouldn't suggest driving it as air getting into the coolant system could cause an airlock, or even total loss of coolant which could cause a head hasket failure and that could be very expensive to fix.

I also would not bring it to a fiat garage, they will charge you £95 to simply tell you what is wrong with it, before they even fix the problem. Go to a small, independant garage which builds itself on reputation, it will be much, much cheaper (maybe half the price, or more) than a fiat dealer.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
hi there thanks for the reply.

the radiator fluid is near the minimum (only filled up 2days ago ,only drove the car about 4-7miles because of it dying) and the smoke is coming from or near a conection on the lower right hand side of the rad (when lookin down on it from the front of car) also from the top of it (centre).ive also noticed that the raditor hasnt bin coming on latley i just fought it was becasue of the cold weather(what a fool)...the car temperture gauge is only showing about 1/4 to 1/2 way when the car dies.nowere near the red but i gather the rad would turn on way before the red zone anyway keeping the car blowing up.

i do think ive fixed my car ,the wires going into the radiator and the rad fan were not connect propley making the car out when the message is sent to turn it on.

i cleaned them up abit, pluged them back in and after 5-10 minutes the fan turned on ,so i got brave and went for a drive and all seams fine..fingers crossed.
(the fan turned on while i was driving)

ill let everyone know if anyfing goes wrong in the next few days if not everythings good!!!

thanks peoples!!!!!

Back