IMG_01991.jpg

Panda (Classic) Project Fallout

Introduction

let me introduce to you, the free panda 4x4 which was first spotted >>Here<<.
First off however, here is the plan:

i will (some how) make the panda look "Post Apocalyptic" yet keep it in a road legal state (so no spikes, sharp rusty edges sadly). We have all seen mad max right? all wanted to replicate a mad max style car?
well let me be the first to attempt this with a fiat panda 4x4.

if anyone here has seen the TV program "Defiance", you surely have seen the epic Doge Charger that looks post apocalyptic. i will be trying to aim for the same theme. with such things as an external roll cadge, external metal mesh / grills covering the windows, custom bull bar, reinforced rear bumper made from tubular metal, custom twin output exhaust, and many many more.

this project is going to be undertaken as cheaply as possible (excluding parts necessary for a safe road going vehicle). reusing as many things as i can find (in scrap yards, freebees), true to a real post apocalyptic constructed vehicle. i will also be taking the "rough is best look" (please note, i say Rough not Rat!) the panda its self of course will undergo all the rust prevention Talon went under when i got him.

anyway, i will leave you a few seconds to build up a mental picture of how a panda 4x4 could look in a post apocalyptic landscape while browsing some of these Pictures.......

ok.. that should do.

First off. i need to get the panda all well and good.
a few things are broken... the exhaust, the front suspension on the passenger side, both rear dampeners are rusted out, the doors are shot but i will try to fix them, the gear stick is really loose and all the roller bearings have dropped out, the wiring is a mess (mice attack!), there are no brakes.. and i mean no brakes, and lets not forget the underside rust.

so today i started by stripping out everything inside the car to get a good look at the floor pan and clean it all out (Dragon Man style!) i found the usual rust: the boot floor is a mess, but easy fixable, a seam has gone just behind the drivers seat anything forward of that seems to be OK, and the back of the sills are just gone so i will need to rebuild that.

the engine runs.. the vac advance line has split so its a bit rough on tickover but it seems good. the fuel tank seems good.. all the 4x4 stuff seems good.

i have go a few pictures took free by a professional photographer! (or should i say someone with an epic camera :p)

Here are a few picture, but please check out >This Album<

like i say, check out the photo album.

i will be keeping >Online video logs< of this, so keep a look out on Youtube too.
here are some videos, both are long but the second one is longer!

Project Fallout a panda 4x4 turned post apocalyiptic - YouTube

Project Fallout Panda 4x4 What to do Post Apocaliptic looking Panda! - YouTube

keep watching guys.. the jet wash will be coming out later today!

Edit:

This is how it looks now: :eek::eek::eek: :slayer::slayer::slayer:

An ancient Egyptian sundial!!

A sundial discovered inside a panda 4x4 in Derby's Valley of the Dragons may be the world's oldest ancient Egyptian sundials, say scientists.
Dating to the 19th dynasty, or the 13th century B.C., the sundial was found on the floor of a 4 wheel drive panda, in the Valley of the Dragons, the burial place of rulers from Egypt's New Kingdom period (around 1550 B.C. to 1070 B.C.).
"The significance of this piece is that it is roughly one thousand years older than what was generally accepted as time when this type of time measuring device was used," said researcher Susanne Bickel, of the University of Basel in Switzerland. Past sundial discoveries date to the Greco-Roman period, which lasted from about 332 B.C. to A.D. 395. John Dragon Man has been unavailable for comment :D

but of an update today.

i have done all the work in the drivers side sill. its all back in place ready for me to weld it all together at some point.

master cylinder is fitted. just need more brake pipe to complete the braking system

found some more bad things today though:

one of the rear springs leafs (center one) has snapped.
the other side looks like it is ready to go (seems bent) wonder if i can get some cut somewhere..

troll ball joints. found yet another i need to replace. every one but the drivers side track rod end ball joint is fubar.

diff oil is leaking out of the ends of the drive shafts (under the plastic 4x4 hub cap)
the breather is not blocked, but the little cap that covers it is missing :/ oil is real nasty.

think thats all horrors... for now. :D

i know i should not.. but i am going to reuse the old rear dampeners. grind off the rusty guard and weld a new one in its place. they still both dampen real nice.. and it is the cheaper option. at least i will not be welding on the actual oil filled cylinder.

Squeeze every penny! just need to find a penny to squeeze..

hope the welders gas holds out :/ im on my last bottle.

Edit, who likes this on facebook?? own up! there's 3 of you out there!

Last edited:
I snapped a middle leaf on mine a while ago and couldn't a new one for a bit due to cost, so I went down the scrappy where there was a fiorino disabled van with single rear leaves. Took these off which replaced my long leaf and then cut my original long leaves down to make the replacement middles. The fiorino's single leaves are thicker height wise which is why i didn't use them for the middles... so the point of this post from me is er... look out for fiat vans in the scrap yard i guess! :D

Aslong as it's only the middle ones i would have saidyou could get one from anything like an old trailer or caravan? :)

The trick with fiorino leafs may work, but does not work with single marbella/panda 4x2 leaf. It is designed to work as a single unit, and after adding other leaves, and while using the car as it was meant to be used{ offffroarrrrr!!!} you may encounter this :) Tested on my friends panda.

5hl4.jpg

About the "fallout bear" , maby as an inspiration ,something like this is for sale here, it looks a bit postapocaliptic, don't you think? :)

se39.jpg

Last edited:
how'd he get the car to look like that? my biggest worry is doing that but then the metal has no rust protection and would rust through.

yeah ill have to check around for a leaf spring. i guess i can cut anything down so long as its the right width apart

i may even be tempted to stick some spacers under the leafs to lift the back end up a bit >_<

The trick with fiorino leafs may work, but does not work with single marbella/panda 4x2 leaf. It is designed to work as a single unit, and after adding other leaves, and while using the car as it was meant to be used{ offffroarrrrr!!!} you may encounter this :) Tested on my friends panda.

5hl4.jpg

About the "fallout bear" , maby as an inspiration ,something like this is for sale here, it looks a bit postapocaliptic, don't you think? :)

se39.jpg

I've seen this look done somewhere else on a VW Golf. They removed the paint with stripper and mechanical abrasive means. I think it was then brushed with some kind of chemical wash to promote the rusting. It probably then only needs a sealer or wax to keep it from rusting further. You don't want to go for this look and fid a load of filler under the paint though....

I saw a cool 'rat look' VW Transporter done with overlaid / patchy olive drab and sandy coloured spray paint with deliberately 'dirty' looking patches - it looked really effective and probably fairly cheap to do too?

Here's the link for the Golf......

Last edited:
Rat-look is popular in Poland, there are plenty of young guys, who are having a "weekend with the angle grinder" using this technique on their old bangers, and this panda was the victim of the grinder as well :idea:

New suspension all round comprising of Non-obtainable parts that cost a fortune, A severe lack of funds, and a car that has more rust to repair than the titanic.....

Maybe you'd be better off keeping this as a parts car for something in better condition.

With the rat look you tend to start with a good solid car and turn it into something rusty (but still essentially solid) just like in the video above, you don't start with something that is so horrifically rotten and spend a fortune just to get the thing road worthy just in the cost of welding supplies and rust treatments you'd probably be able to buy a road worthy car.

New suspension all round comprising of Non-obtainable parts that cost a fortune, A severe lack of funds, and a car that has more rust to repair than the titanic.....

Maybe you'd be better off keeping this as a parts car for something in better condition.

With the rat look you tend to start with a good solid car and turn it into something rusty (but still essentially solid) just like in the video above, you don't start with something that is so horrifically rotten and spend a fortune just to get the thing road worthy just in the cost of welding supplies and rust treatments you'd probably be able to buy a road worthy car.

That's just making it too simple though :D

I think the RAT (recycled automotive transport) look is wrong for this project, maybe elements of it could be adopted but you are wanting a car more fit in a warzone right?

I am pretty sure that now you can get a paint that can be applied to give you the rust look to save on sanding disks and giving the feeble italian metal a break. I will research this as I know a few VW nuts that have undertaken Rat projects. Have a look at this...

http://rat-look.com/what-is-rat-look/

i am not planning on "rusting" the whole car. just some bits where you would expect rust.
besides, rust will happen over time anyway.

ill be "tidying" the doors up structurally, but keeping them in a rusty condition.

i would like to replicate some of the look of the "sad looking mk 1 4x4"
however i think the most easy way to do that kind of look is to polish it too much so the paint comes off, wait for it to lightly rust, then clear lacquer over it.

being as the doors are well on there way to a rusted nonexistence i would be tempted to try it out on them first...

When talon gets some nice Mk 2 doors (man am i gonna miss them mirrors when i do) i'll have some nice Marbella doors i can fit to the fallout panda If i have to. they would be "backup" doors, so i dont want to damage them in any way as they are totally rust free!
so i would only use them IF the original doors failed on an MOT for not being "safe" in the sense that they could fall off at any point... unlikely as i would not let them let to that level. just keep adding more welded plates to them.

anyway, at some point i plan on making one of these:

i'll mount it towards the front of the car. keep the original exhaust pipped up constantly, but have a home made side exit exhaust system on the switched exhaust.
the thing in the video looks like its a window winder motor, so i bet i can use one to do the same thing. given i mount it in such a way that the heat from the exhaust will not effect it.

i could however make it cable driven, like the chokes on our cars. (those of us with carbs anyway.) much more fun to make.. cant wait till i get to this stage in the project!

something to think of later on. i am only putting it here so i remember these ideas for when the car is on the road!

anyway here is a video of whats been going on with the fallout panda:

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back