Technical Project Bucket.

Currently reading:
Technical Project Bucket.

hi vern.....sorry if a quietish exhaust is a problem , but you"ve done so well with my wish list that i have every confidence in you. little panda picture is cute , quite happy for it to stay.

More progress over the last few days......

Cutting out the holes for smoked grey side repeaters.......

The bare edges of the holes were painted before the lights were fitted, and the lights were also fitted with chrome bulbs. These will ensure that the light looks only grey when not in use but the bulbs turn orange when they flash. The front indicators have been done the same way.

Sump guard has now been fitted.......

I had to use a new sump guard frame from a later Panda (post 96) as the original would no longer fit due to the engine being lowered 18mm. This meant that the alloy guard could not be fitted with my usual clamps because the later frames are made from rectangular section steel instead of round tube. I therefore attached the guard directly to the frame after drilling the necessary holes.

Work has also continued on the interior. The main piece of carpet for the front has been cut out, still have to do the fiddly bits around the edges though.
I had a spare centre console from a clx, this would normally cover the gearchange cables. I couldn't use it complete as the gear lever has too much throw on a 4x4 for the hole in the console that the clx lever passes through. Plus the lever that engages 4wd gets in the way. So I trimmed the console down to a size that would fit in front of the 4x4 gear lever......

There is a hole left where the 2wd lever would normally come through, my plan is to fill this in with a plate, then mount a mobile phone holder on it.

The dash is now in. You may also notice the sporty pedals and steering wheel.........

A radio/cd player is yet to be fitted which will allow iphone/ipod connectivity.

There is still quite a bit of detail work to be carried out, but I had to rush to get it to a roadworthy stage by 1.00pm today because that is when the mot was booked. :)

I'm happy to say it passed, and with tax bought online Bucket is road legal :slayer:

The twenty two mile trip to the mot garage also gave me my first proper drive. First impressions are very favourable. The engine, gearbox and drivetrain are great, will drive around in 5th gear all day if you stay above 25mph. The emissions on the mot showed 0.52 co2 and 100ppm on the hydrocarbons, this all points to a healthy and efficiently running engine (y).
The suspension is firm but comfortable, steering slightly heavier than normal but very direct with no sloppiness. The wide tyres dictate how he feels to a large extent but they are not noisy as I was expecting. A little more fine tuning will improve things still further but for 'straight out of the box' I'm very happy.
Couldn't resist stopping for some pics on the way back even though he's not complete yet, but what you see is 90% of the finished Bucket........

Vern
One question.
How many of buckets parts are original?
I guess about 7
6 pieces of glass and the body shell.

Dave

Haha. Lots of new parts admittedly, and second hand ones that weren't originally from Bucket, but still quite a few that were.

Moving on in the interior I have to provide a dog friendly environment in the rear for Whisper the whippet. I've had a genuine Panda dog guard for quite some time now waiting to be put to good use, it came without fixings though.
I've also got a new van bulkhead that I bought from Partsworld, this can be used along with the dog guard to stop Whisper trying to take over the driving. First job is to cut the bulkhead in half as I only need the bottom section..........

Once fitted the dog guard will attach above it........

Because the 4x4 has trim panels down both sides to cover the rear wheel arches the bulkhead is too wide to fit so both sides needed trimming by about 10mm each. The bottom edge would normally attach at the front of the step in the floor just in front of the back seat, if a van were to have one, but I'm mounting the bulkhead about 100mm further back so the bottom edge has been folded to an angle of 90'...........

This will all become clear as work progresses.

Also today I sourced a spare wheel. It has a 165/70/13 tyre which turns out to be about the same diameter as the wheels on the car. Technically it's a space saver but at least it fits under the bonnet in the usual place........

whisper is not impressed as she really wants to do the driving. i , on the other hand thank you for the attention to detail (as usual) to keep her safely in the back.

Wow, just spent an eon reading this thread. Very very impressed ! Much respect. Dave.
hi dave....hopefully it was time well spent...vernon really does know his stuff and i'm very impressed with all he has done with bucket.... julie

hi vern if i ever need to change a tyre can i use the spare one or does it not match up with the others? sorry if its a daft question but you know me. julie

hi vern if i ever need to change a tyre can i use the spare one or does it not match up with the others? sorry if its a daft question but you know me. julie

Hi Julie,

Not a daft question. You can use it to get you home, like using a space saver, but you would need to refit the proper wheel as soon as possible.

Bucket had a great day at Brooklands yesterday, lots of good feedback and offers to swap. Don't worry, I didn't accept any. ;)

Here's a few pics........

Last edited:
A couple more jobs ticked off.......

Bought a phone holder from Halfords. The bit on the right that allows it to be clipped to an air vent can be binned.

From L to R. Cut out piece of vinyl trim to match door cards. Fibreboard shaped to fit gear lever recess in centre console. Remains of phone holder, the pin on the back has been filed down to fit the hole in the fibreboard.

Two pieces of MDF glued to the back of the fibreboard so that the pin on the phone holder stops just below the surface. I've drilled down the centre of the pin so that a screw and washer can now fix it securely to the MDF/fibreboard.
The MDF fits snuggly into the gearlever hole in the centre console.

Vinyl glued to the front and job done!

I've also fitted the wheel arch kit.......

First stage was to key the back of the pieces with 80 grit sandpaper......

There are actually six pieces in the kit but I didn't have enough G clamps to do them all in one go. :p

Then mark out the area on the car so that this could be keyed too, with red prep pads not sandpaper......

The kit comes with a tube of silicone adhesive but I've found that this can fail after a while, so this time I'm using Araldite 2015 adhesive as I've heard it's far superior......

I left it overnight before taking the clamps off but the araldite should have been cured after two or three hours.

Job done......

While I'm in my 'Blue Peter phase' I'll mention the sump guard again. I've painted it silver on the top side so that leaks (heaven forbid!) will show up easily, but this would have stood out far too much for the underside.
Past experience with sump guards has shown me that they all too easily get scratched, especially if you go offroad! I know Julie has no plans for leaving the tarmac, yet, but thought it would be more practical to cover the underside with vinyl. I managed to find some really tough stuff that looks a little like carbon fibre, it's not obvious until you're really close to it so no worries of it looking too modern, it just looks black......

Now if it gets scratched it can simply be peeled off and a new piece stuck on.

Well Bucket continues to develope, and has been out to a couple of places for work.
Last week it was the tyre centre to get the wheel alignment checked and adjusted. Caster and camber were within normal Panda 4x4 parameters but tracking needed some adjustment. Ideally I would like a little more negative camber, 0' to -1', but there just isn't enough clearance around the tyres to get any more so it will have to stay factory with this wheel/tyre combination.

Today he's been to have his windows tinted so that whisper the whippet can ride cool. All glass apart from the windscreen has been done. In order to keep the tint on the glass the same on the sides of the car (not darker at the rear) the tint film is the darkest allowed for the door windows......

A visit to Julie this week with a wheel brace and an ashtray, plus a request a few weeks ago from Alixcompo has reminded me that I really must bring this thread up to date, especially as Pandawoman has been driving him around since last October!

So, where were we........

The bulkhead was the next job to complete.

Lower half of the van bulkhead painted black.

Mounted to the floor by three bolts through a stiffener bar.

Then carpeted on the front, and trimmed along the top edge with a new but cut down bonnet seal.

Two brackets were then made to hold the dog guard, which also sat tightly on top of the bonnet seal. They were painted painted black too, honest.

Rubber checker plate floor covering was used to cover the floor in the back.

Two tool/oddments bags were then fitted to save whisper the whippet having to duck and dive loose objects in the back.

The rest of the carpet could then be laid.

The centre console could then be fitted. This also houses a light to tell you when 4 wheel drive is engaged, normally in the instrument cluster but not in Bucket as he has a clx wiring loom and instruments. Black chrome pedals, a radio/cd player and the Alfa seats pretty much finish the interior.

Oh, nearly forgot the tailgate panel......

This is the finished exhaust system, it had a second silencer fitted which made a big difference to the tinny noise of the original while still sounding subtly sporty.

The cavity wax was next, lets just say it's everywhere underneath and in all box sections/doors. The wheel arch liners were fitted next, what a difference these make to sound insulation!

Next Julie asked for mud flaps, essential with those aggressive tyres throwing up rocks the size of golf balls, well maybe not quite that big.
I didn't want to drill the bodywork to fit them so after a couple of aborted attempts this is the final design......

That just about covers everything. I did take Bucket to a few places before handing him over, just to make sure he drove ok you understand. Here are some pics from those places, Isle Of Wight, Haynes Motor Museum etc....

Aren't Mini's tiny! ;).

Driving Bucket is great. The Punto 60 engine is a nice choice for a 4x4, not enough power to worry the gearbox but enough to worry a few other road users. Suspension is firm, grip on corners is great, and of course the seats make it all comfortable despite the firmness.

As I said at the beginning of the post Julie has had Bucket since October, and reports that she has a smile on her face every trip. Phew!
Julie would like an inclinometer fitted though, so if anyone has one for sale we'd be interested to hear from you. I will put a wanted ad up soon though.

A few final pics from this week to prove Julie's looking after him well......

Finally, a massive thank you to Julie for letting me build Bucket, you've been a model client. :worship::worship::worship: Hope you enjoy him for many many years.

Last edited:
Vernon has done a first class job with Bucket .... i used to get a buzz driving my red panda dance but driving bucket is even better than that.

I cant thank Vernon enough for his patience with me and my many daft questions and his attention to detail is second to none.

And finally a big thank you to all of you who have been following this thread ... i hope you have enjoyed seeing the change from tatty panda to superb panda. rest assured i will take good care of him and hope to see some of you at future shows/events.

Top job Vern. I think Julie's very lucky as well to have found a car builder like you!
it took me a while to find the right person for the job...i found this forum and its thanks to all the various posts relating to vernon that made me contact him.... And yes i am very lucky that he took on the project and built the car of my dreams.

top stuff vern, as always with bucket updates I am just left saying wow. I'm quite jealous of Julie i must say
ah dont be jealous , if we are ever at the same event or show i might let you drive him..or you could ask Vernon to build another one for you.

Back