Technical Probs with my 1.9 multijet! Need some help!

Currently reading:
Technical Probs with my 1.9 multijet! Need some help!

Lordster

Hi all i am new to all this so firstly thanks for taking a look, the forum is a great source of information!

I have recently purchased a 06 plate 1.9 multi jet only done 24k miles and it’s in good condition, really chuffed with it great performance and economy and looks great.

However unfortunately I have already experienced a few things that have got me a bit concerned and I was wondering if anybody had any advice?

1. The engine light keeps coming on and off. Is this something to do with the injectors as the manual states?
2. Sometimes when the light is on I have lost power, I am concerned because I cannot hear any turbo whine when this happens. If i stop the car turn off the ignition then start up again the car and performance is fine?
3. In the morning it always starts but it takes a few(3-4) seconds to start, is this normal?
4. Just too round things of the dam plastic under tray has come loose? Ahhh!

It’s all really annoying because I test drove the car and no probs what so ever. It is still under warranty and going back to garage tomorrow so they can take a look but it would be great to go armed with some information!!

Thanks

Hi, please see responses to your comments below:

1. The engine light keeps coming on and off. Is this something to do with the injectors as the manual states? Could be many things, really need to have it put on a fault code reader to obtain the correct fault codes. A garage should be able to do this for you or buy a fault code reader off ebay and do it yourself. Diagnostics at fiat usually cost about £65
2. Sometimes when the light is on I have lost power, I am concerned because I cannot hear any turbo whine when this happens. If i stop the car turn off the ignition then start up again the car and performance is fine? Sounds like its going into limp mode. With low mileage like yours its probably been used for short runs and as a consequence the EGR is probably clogged up.
3. In the morning it always starts but it takes a few(3-4) seconds to start, is this normal? Mine did this until I bought a new battery. Could also be due to the EGR valve sticking
4. Just too round things of the dam plastic under tray has come loose? Ahhh!Fits with 4 (i think) hex screws. Either tighten them up or replace the screws for something more substantial.

Hope you get it sorted mate(y)

Thanks bigcul1your feedback is much appreciated; interesting about the EGR valve i will raise this with the garage if they don’t mention it i will also check out the battery situation. I am going to be interested to hear what the garage come back with.
Cheers

No probs fella. Yeah low mileage diesels of a fair age seem to have problems sooting up. These cars need a good long blast each week really to keep them running smooth. You have to think why did the previous owner buy a diesel?? Mine was the same when I bought it (only had 34k on the clock). New EGR and 20k later its running like a dream. Proper maintenance, servicing and driving it as it was intended will make this car and engine last for a very long time. :)

PS does yours have a diesel particle filter fitted? Need to check that this is regenerating properly too. Take her our for a 45 min drive up a motorway. Keep her at about 3000rpm for the duration and this should heat the filter up enough to regenerate. It will smoke a fair bit and if it completes fine the smoke will disappear. You can also tell its regenerating as your mpg will decrease a fair bit. Once completed the MPG should start to rise. Make sure this cycle completes ok ask they are costly to replace.

No probs fella. Yeah low mileage diesels of a fair age seem to have problems sooting up. These cars need a good long blast each week really to keep them running smooth. You have to think why did the previous owner buy a diesel?? Mine was the same when I bought it (only had 34k on the clock). New EGR and 20k later its running like a dream. Proper maintenance, servicing and driving it as it was intended will make this car and engine last for a very long time. :)

PS does yours have a diesel particle filter fitted? Need to check that this is regenerating properly too. Take her our for a 45 min drive up a motorway. Keep her at about 3000rpm for the duration and this should heat the filter up enough to regenerate. It will smoke a fair bit and if it completes fine the smoke will disappear. You can also tell its regenerating as your mpg will decrease a fair bit. Once completed the MPG should start to rise. Make sure this cycle completes ok ask they are costly to replace.
Well you were spot on! The EGR valve was knackered and has now been replaced, iam glad i raised the issue with the garage because it was covered under warrenty so saved myself about £190!

Yea i have no idea why the previous owner decided to buy a desiel, 24k in 5years? I get the impression he just used it around town, i am gona be doing some good motorway miles in mine so will certainly get a chance to drive it properly.

In regards to the particle filter yes it does have one fitted, the mechanic advised exactly what you said so i did this all the way home about 45mins, my mpg dropped massively and it smoked a bit also so i think it did the trick. Looking forward to driving it how it how it is meant to be driven!

Thanks again!

anybody correct me if im wrong but if you look under the car you will have 3 expansion type parts (1 dpf, 1 cat and 1 expansion chamber) at the front of the exhaust if you have a DPF fitted and 2 if not (just cat and expansion chamber).

My 06 plate mjet dosn't have one (thank god) as far as i am aware all 1.9 mjets don't have one but the 1.6s do. Not sure about the 1.3s though.

When I bought a 1.9 Sporting in 2006 the DPF was a cost option, and pretty expensive too. I didn't opt for it.

Look under the car, if you have a dpf you will see it right at the front, then it will go straight to the back box. If it has no dpf it will have a cat at the front, big centre silencer and the backbox.

This is the layout for the 1.9.With the 1.6 MJ the DPF is directly behind the Cat.

Attachments

• 1.9 DPF.jpg
    1.9 DPF.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 40
Back