Technical Problems fitting a new hub assembly to a fiat punto

Currently reading:
Technical Problems fitting a new hub assembly to a fiat punto

dogsense

Hi i have a fiat punto active 1.2 8v it is a 56 reg
i have a problem. I had a noisy wheel bearing so decided to buy a scrap hub.
i stripped the original hub off and the car was left for about 1 week until my new scrap hub arrived. i dropped the hub onto the bottom ball joint on the wish bone. put the drive shaft into position, pushed it upto the suspension strutt fixing. The hub was about two inch too high. I took it off checked it with the original thinking i had the wrong hub. The hub was ok. I tried all sorts of things and could not get the hub to line up with the strut fixing. Has anyone got any ideas. Is it possible for the suspension strut to drop ??? Will compressing the spring allow me to push the strut back. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi i have a fiat punto active 1.2 8v it is a 56 reg
i have a problem. I had a noisy wheel bearing so decided to buy a scrap hub.
i stripped the original hub off and the car was left for about 1 week until my new scrap hub arrived. i dropped the hub onto the bottom ball joint on the wish bone. put the drive shaft into position, pushed it upto the suspension strutt fixing. The hub was about two inch too high. I took it off checked it with the original thinking i had the wrong hub. The hub was ok. I tried all sorts of things and could not get the hub to line up with the strut fixing. Has anyone got any ideas. Is it possible for the suspension strut to drop ??? Will compressing the spring allow me to push the strut back. Any help will be much appreciated.

There is a 2 inch diameter hole in the wishbone in the center. If you put a long crow bar through that you can then have the bar come towards you so you can put your foot on it to press the wishbone down. Then you need to put a tapered punch or a smaller size bolt in one of the strut holes and have a rest! Then you put one of the real strut bolts in the other hole while you are moving the bar around with your foot and holding the hub/strut. Then do the other bolt which by now will be fairly easy.

Thanks for your suggestions. Ihave already tried putting the hub to the strut.
I will try the crow bar method. But it does look like the strut has dropped if that is possible. would using spring tensior allow the strut to move upwards.??

Thanks for your suggestions. Ihave already tried putting the hub to the strut.
I will try the crow bar method. But it does look like the strut has dropped if that is possible. would using spring tensior allow the strut to move upwards.??

The bar forces the wishbone and the hub down. When you remove the bolts the hub jumps up, so you need to force it down to get it to go back on again.

Antiroll bar is working against you - its pushing up because 1 side is probably still on the ground

When i drop the hub out - i fit bottom ball with bolt and loose nut

Then With car level on the front - Push down the hub hard (all my weight - nearly 17stone) and wiggle a bolt in

Somepeople use a cheetah bar / hockey stick / wishbone control tool to give extra leverage to get the arm down :)

Ziggy

Thank you judderbar and others it worked a treat with a crow bar Thank you all so much bur specially judderbar. He is a star.

Back