General Power steering fail

Currently reading:
General Power steering fail

Phil384

Hi,
Could anyone offer advise,my 04 Panda 1.2 has an intermittent fault with the power steering,on a long run the wheel light comes on and I lose the power steering,after stopping and turning the engine off then back on the power returns and will be ok for a day or two. I have owned the car for a few weeks and this only started to happen after I had it serviced.

Check the alternator and battery, the power steering units do fail on the Panda, it is a common problem but at the age of your car the battery is also likely to be the problem is a much much cheaper job. Batteries for the Panda are around £40.00 brand new.

Hi

I got the steering wheel failure lamp on first time 1 week ago, and it turns on on almost all rides now after ½-15 miles

I do not register any difference in power steering help at all. I guess there would be difference, when it cuts out... ?

I understand, that the problem most likely is in the electric power supply. Battery is one thing, but how about the electric joints ? Can you guide me to find them, as they must be equally important parts of the circuit as well.
My battery looks as if it has been replaced and the engine jumps to live also in heavy frost, so I think it is OK.

Phil: How did a new battery work for you ?

I have'nt changed it as one garage said it was ok,two other garages tell me they think its the whole steering needs changing,expensive

Sometimes replacing the battery is all that's needed, sometimes it needs the torque sensor replacing or the column rebuilding. There's an OEM one up on ebay just now. You could send the existing column away to be remanufactured at similar cost. Obviously you'll also have a labour charge for fitting if you aren't able to do this yourself.

If you spend £40 on a new battery, it might fix it (this has worked for others in the past, even after batteries have been diagnosed as OK). Equally, you might be down £40 and still have the fault. Sitting here in front of a screen, it's unfortunately impossible to guess which applies in your case.

It's a tough call for the OP.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi

I cleaned and lubricated the battery connections (pole clamps and screwed joints) last week, and that has helped until now.

BR Leo

I have a problem with my punto mk2 steering wheel column.
There is a very badly irritating sound coming out of steering column itself.
I thought it was a faulty electric motor, removed it and tried to have a ride without it with hardened steering and the bad sound remained.
It is like something is broken in the column.
Then I removed the column totally and inspected it but there was nothing suspicious. Everything is fitted firmly and well and nothing is moving so that it could make such sound.
the only thing I think can be faulty is this (see the photo).

PUNTOsteeringcolumn-edited_zpsee50e406.jpg

What do you people think about this?

I have a problem with my punto mk2 steering wheel column.
There is a very badly irritating sound coming out of steering column itself.
I thought it was a faulty electric motor, removed it and tried to have a ride without it with hardened steering and the bad sound remained.
It is like something is broken in the column.
Then I removed the column totally and inspected it but there was nothing suspicious. Everything is fitted firmly and well and nothing is moving so that it could make such sound.
the only thing I think can be faulty is this (see the photo).

PUNTOsteeringcolumn-edited_zpsee50e406.jpg

What do you people think about this?

Best posted in the Punto section as I suspect they're different units.

Back