Technical Power died while parking and won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Power died while parking and won't start

AMT

I was just parking the car today, when the electrics turned off/on and the power steering died. The engine was still running, so I continued to brutally park the car. I kinda felt like it was a battery issue, but surely not while driving!

Sure enough, I turned the engine off and back on again, and it was dead. Radio etc on, but the car lights just turned off when I tried to start it again.

I was just trying to push the car to pop start it, when a Saab driver kindly offered to jump it with a set of leads on his back seat :)

After 1 hr idle revs and a 20 min drive we got home safety. However trying to restart the engine was like there was no battery in the car.

Can anyone troubleshoot this problem? Right now the car is stuck on the drive, and unable to start on its own, and I'm completely ignorant when it comes to car maintenance.

Thanks MEP.
You think it might be both battery and alternator? I've read a thread where the cost may exceed £150 :( Here's me trying to get every last volt out of the battery.

I have a friend coming round tomorrow to jump start it. Are there any diagnosics I can run myself with a multi-meter to determine what works and what doesn't?

Thanks again

I haven't got a charger. I was supposed to be getting around to finding a garage offering a free battery check last summer, but you know how things are, once its working again, one tends to forget about it.
I'm sure the garage will check the battery, but I'll make sure I check the read out before buying a new one.

Car's up and running again. Indeed it was the battery. £37 from Euro Parts.

My father said it couldn't be the alternator, as the car wouldn't have driven home after being jumped.

Hopefully this marks the end. Thanks for those that helped. Alternator or battery, not knowing the problem is often worse than repairing it.

Back