General Please Help! My Multipla is ill!!

Currently reading:
General Please Help! My Multipla is ill!!

Shannon 4801

My 2001 (y-reg) 1.9 diesel Multipla has now been in the garage 3 weeks & still not fixed!!
After the snow (just over a month ago??) There were 3 occaisions when it struggled to start - I put it down to the weather.
Then, whilst driving it lost power (like the diesel wasn't getting through)
It would re-start after about 10 mins but only go about 200 yrds before cutting out again!
My recovery service towed it to a local garage who have apparently put it on a diagnostics machine. I have been told this came p with a list of possibilities ranging from £40 - £1000 to fix!!
Someone advised me to change the solonoid (and as this is apparently quite cheap to do, I've advised the garage to start here).
Does anyone know how to fix or experienced this problem before? *I can't afford a new car nor have I lots of money to fix it!!
PLEASE HELP!

If the problems started after the snows, it might be worth checking the crank position sensor. They're known to give intermittent problems like yours when they start to fail. Fairly cheap part (about £30?) and don't take long to fit.

Many thanks for your advice - much appreciated!!
I'm still waiting for the garage to let me know if chaing the 'solonoid' has worked. (I'm not holding out high hopes), so I'll follow your top tips in order & go with the EGR VALVE - Do I need to order a new one? Or is it something which can be cleared/cleaned?
Thanks.

Before we had snow the car was fine. But just to clarify / confirm; The 3 occaisions when my Multi was struggling to start were all within say a 2 week period. Then, after another 2 weeks had passed was when the car cut-out on us whilst driving(got it re-started twice, before having to have it towed to a garage).
I'll mention the 'crank position sensor' to the garage - anything's worth a go at the minute, providing it doesn't cost me an arm & a leg!!
Thanks.

Have a look at this about the crank position sensor. It's easy to replace if you can jack the whole front of the car up to get underneath. Certainly stopped my cutting out/restart after 10 mins problems.

I don't think the fuel filter has been changed, not since I bought it last May.

Had a look at the link you sent me, sounds like this may be it!! I'm gonna ring the garage now & see what thay say. Thank you so much for your advice!!

Just rang the garage & they said the diagnostics threw up loads of 'possibles'. I told them about the link you sent me & they said that's what they're gonna do but they need to remove the cam belt (I'm sure that's what they said) to get to it?!
I'll keep you posted!

No, they really don't need to remove the cam belt! Honestly, it's a twenty minute job if you've got the car on a ramp.

The reason I mentioned the crank sensor in connection with the snow is that the sensor is near the bottom of the engine so could be in the firing line if you've been through rutted snow. It's also possible (but unlikely) that the crud thrown up with the snow could affect the sensor 'eye' - it may just need a clean!

Definitely don't need to touch the cambelt to get at the sensor!

The garage is confusing the cam position sensor with the crank position sensor.
You need to remove cam belt to access the cam position sensor.....

They just need to jack up the car to access crank position sensor...your symptoms are synonymous with crank sensor failure.
Marty.

Sounds like 'cam' sensor fault to me.

Mr Moderator, I was just about to offer the same opinion. I had this on Bella, my old bug. Kept breaking down then restarting and running fine.

Mod, correct me if I'm wrong, are there not two sensors that could give a similar fault? Cam and crank, or something like that? I'm sure they replaced two on mine?

Mr Moderator, I was just about to offer the same opinion. I had this on Bella, my old bug. Kept breaking down then restarting and running fine.

Mod, correct me if I'm wrong, are there not two sensors that could give a similar fault? Cam and crank, or something like that? I'm sure they replaced two on mine?

That's correct mate, the error you often get is 'incoherence between cam and crank sensor' (e.g. timing error mismatch), best way to check is to 'scope' out the cam sensor signal. Quite a common fault on multipla.

Same symptoms on a similar car, cured 'temporarily' by swapping the crank sensor with a £5 one from a breakers yard.
('Temporarily' turned into 2 years.)

P.S. they are often easily changed with simple screwdriver or small spanner and are then unplugged from their connector ready for the replacement.
Cam belt off? I'd be surprised.
They are usually just a 'hall effect switch' that's activated by a magnet on the edge of the flywheel. Not expensive.
They switch once every time the engine rotates so 2000 - 3000 times per minute. It's understandable that they can fail.

Last edited:
Back