Phrases that annoy you?

Currently reading:
Phrases that annoy you?

"Can you turn off that XBox 360 and come and give me a hand?"

Here that one at least 4 times a night/day.:rolleyes:

To be honest I hate company slogans more,,,

Don't christmas shop for it, Argos it. **** OFF!!!!

Sainsbury, try something new today. Okay I'll go to Waitrose.

,,there are loads more. I hate them.:bang:

"Can you turn off that XBox 360 and come and give me a hand?"

Here that one at least 4 times a night/day.:rolleyes:

To be honest I hate company slogans more,,,

Don't christmas shop for it, Argos it. **** OFF!!!!

Sainsbury, try something new today. Okay I'll go to Waitrose.

,,there are loads more. I hate them.:bang:

Every little bit helps! - Tesco

1) 'Am i bovvered?!'

2) 'Yeah' and 'No' <- Allow me to explain this one. This refers to people who both ask AND answer a question at the same time... but aim it in your general direction. I.E. Can i put a Impreza turbo on my seicento, yeah!? FCUKIN HATE THOSE PEOPLE!

3) 'Y'no woh a mean', when every other thing said is this phrase. Below is an example including Yeahs and Y'no woh a means.

Wen' out last night, yeah, n saw this fit bird, yeah, y'no woh a mean? n she looked at me, yeah, so i winked, yeah, but she dint do nowt, y'no woh a mean, so, yeah, a smacked the **** outta her, yeah, cuz she wo a silly bitch, y'no woh a mean, yeah.

4) 'You like my pretend gold clown chain, yeah' <- NO, NO-ONE DOES!!!!! I know no scallies ever ever ask this, but i hate scallies and their stupid pretend chains so much, i just thought i would fit it in.

As you can see, most of mine are scally/chav related....so if there are any chavs/scallies on here then watch out, Frannys about!

Franny (y)

I'm with you totally on this Franny. I cringe whenever I hear illiterate Chav/ Scally speak or fake 'gangsta' style talking (read 'council estate 12 year old speak'). Get a dictionary, a life and at least try and make some effort to learn something you dumb idiots!

Sainsbury, "try something new today". Okay I'll go to Waitrose.

Brilliant! :worship: :worship: :worship:

I have a few issues of grammar, like "ATM machine", you mean a machine that dispenses ATM's or money?? if it's the latter then it's an ATM - automated telling machine. Annoyingly this spans to other abbreviated items too... :mad:

another one is the gratuitous use of "yourself"... I'm going to ask yourself something... WTF???? that's not even close?? you do something yourself, someone doesn't do it for you!! - this is usually used by people working in call-centres who try to talk posh on the phone, instead of just using their local dialect, it's mostly abused by yorkshire(wo)men in those places.

i'm not a big fan of "at the end of the day" either.

err.. "cant see the wood for the trees" - right... that fits in just under "can't see for looking" wtf do they mean?

I HATE it when problems and troubles are called "challenges" :bang:
"Fitting a square peg into a round hole will be a real challenge..." :confused:
Unfortunately, this particular method of double talk snaked its way to Czech language, most probably through bad translations of US management handbooks, and is widely used now :cry:.

Generally, I hate the management zombie talk where "Unavailability of adequate financial resources would jeopardize timely handover of the project and have a serious impact on customer satisfaction" means "If you do not give me enough money, I will not be able to finish the thing in time and our client will be p***ed".
I also especially hate "leverage" as a verb.

The habit recently of using less instead of fewer, 10 items or less.... whats wrong with fewer anyway?

:yeahthat:

I have noticed that is becoming more and more common especially among newsreaders, and sadly on the BBC, too, that last bastion of Her Majesty's English.

Everytime I hear less instead of fewer it grates in the same way as if someone were to scratch their nails down a blackboard.

Someother words are:

disk instead of disc;

program instead of programme;

and no one can use the word gay in its original meaning anymore. In my professional world of music and musicals in general, the word gay is used so often. Sadly, if you hear a Noel Coward ditty performed (of whom I am a huge fan - there is another one: who and whom), all you get from the audience are immature sniggers.

Last edited:
Less is used a lot incorrectly on 5live, it's just one of those things that makes me cringe for 0.01 seconds.

Back