Technical PCV Valve / Oil Separator

Currently reading:
Technical PCV Valve / Oil Separator

Guerciotti

Hi,
The wife's 2016 1.2 petrol Fiat 500 has been consuming quite a bit of oil recently. Car has 56,000 miles and always gets fresh (high quality) oil / filter every 7,000 miles. There are no oil leaks visible from under the vehicle around the sump etc but oil is apparent where the air filter box sits on top of the throttle body so I am thinking maybe a problem with the PCV / oil separator / breather which I understand can be problem areas for these engines. Appreciate any help on locating the PCV on this car (nothing in the Haynes manual and couldn't see a lot online either) and any other tips / helpful suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I think valve stem oil seals can cause this, but usually you also get smoke. I have a slightly smokey 169 1.2 with 80,000 miles. I had misfire as well so removed and cleaned the throttle body and inside the manifold which was messy. This job stopped the misfire, improved economy and performance. I just pushed in a clean cotton cloth and used a stiff wire to move it about and hook it out. There are two breather pipes. The big one is small bore pipe it runs from under the air cleaner box to the manifold. Be careful removing and replacing it as the pipe lug on the air box is easily broken. The small breather runs from rocker cover to air filter. Inside it is a flame arrester that can become blocked. you can push it out with a dowel and clean it or replace. I have fitted a catch can in the breather which does trapsome oil, though not enough to cause issues. There is no pcv as such. Ihave looked at valve stem seals but it seems to be a biggish job, so they will only get done if the head has to comr off. These engines use very little oil until you drive fast. 70mph / 110 kmh ormore sees consumption jump up. The catch can has proved very worthwhile. Do check your sump pan is neither leaking, nor porous due to rust. I have a leak from an end seal which I shall deal with when the next oil change is due.

Thanks for your reply. I started cleaning things up yesterday and had already cleaned the pipes you mentioned. They were gunged up and the small breather hose was not connected. Hopefully it will be ok now as there is no smoke and it runs fine!!!
Thanks again for replying I really appreciate it👍

Thanks both. I have identified a small blockage in the narrow diameter (5mm) breather pipe near to where it connects to the airbox. Have bought some generic tubing from the auto parts store and will try and fit it next week. Will update with progress but will probably be a while before we can see if it is better.

Back