Technical Passenger door trim - rattle

Currently reading:
Technical Passenger door trim - rattle

The matter of the fact is, that rattles are something inevitable. Sooner or later, they will appear no matter what you do. The build quality plays an important role but even on a Mercedes, rattles will come by the passing of time. Although they are really annoying, sometimes we should just deal with it.

The matter of the fact is, that rattles are something inevitable. Sooner or later, they will appear no matter what you do. The build quality plays an important role but even on a Mercedes, rattles will come by the passing of time. Although they are really annoying, sometimes we should just deal with it.

I did a search on here on 'rattle' in the thread titles and quite a few came up. Came across an old post (Click here) and it reminded me of a squeek that I used to have that drove me bonkers in a Hillman Hunter Estate - I could never find it and how to drive with the radio on all the time.:)

I have this same rattle on my 11 plate 500c, it's been annoying me, mine is proving difficult to even begin to locate, it sounds a little like a wire or metal piece tapping which is louder when the car is cold and either disappears or still taps or creaks but quiter as the car warms up. With the dealer being 30 mins drive on the motorway you just know it'll be usual case of it'll have gone cos the car is hot. Mine has had me thinking it's either in the door or the passenger side of dash, glovebox area or even in the engine bay on passenger side. I have noticed on really rough roads it doesn't really appear its more as someone else said a ripple in the road surface and it's tapping away. Also mine really creaks when cold at the join of the stereo and the central vents, will silicone lube work here and any advise on what to buy and how to apply is it like wd40 and just spray with a straw in the crack. I have noticed these more since I've not been using the stereo due to either a blown vibrating speaker or the panel in the rear over the spaker being loose causing vibration, I am just being lazy on this one as I need the dealer to fix this. I have noticed not leaving the rear headrests in the up position stops a lot of rear rattles.

I had a rattle which was caused by cables within the door panel.
I used felt floor protectors for chair legs folded around the cable at the point of contact with the panel. I also used these to stop my dash creaking.

My rattle was particularly bad today due to the cold weather. I tried opening and closing the passenger window while on a road that always causes the rattle. I found while the window was moving the rattle was greatly reduced and sometimes stopped.

Maybe this is the window regulator too.

My rattle was particularly bad today due to the cold weather. I tried opening and closing the passenger window while on a road that always causes the rattle. I found while the window was moving the rattle was greatly reduced and sometimes stopped.

Maybe this is the window regulator too.
It sounds like its the same rattle as the one i had. What they did, was to open the door panels and apply lubricant .They also did the same with the door panels closed (lubricant in spray form).

...Rattles gone

It sounds like its the same rattle as the one i had. What they did, was to open the door panels and apply lubricant .They also did the same with the door panels closed (lubricant in spray form).

...Rattles gone

...until the lubricant dries out :(.

Higher end vehicles often use fabric, rather than plastic, for hidden things like the outer cover of the loom, precisely to stop this kind of rattle from developing.

Finding the source and and using felt & cloth to stop the plastic-to plastic contact will get you a permanent cure, but spraying a nylon lubricant is, sadly, only going to give a temporary fix.

For anyone who's bothered by these niggly rattles and is prepared to take the time to isolate the cause & fix it properly, craft stores like Hobbycraft sell all kinds of useful materials - their sheets of self adhesive felt are particularly useful :).

Which reminds me that it's about time I spent half an hour sorting out a rattling glovebox on the Panda.

Last edited:
...until the lubricant dries out :(.

Higher end vehicles often use fabric, rather than plastic, for hidden things like the outer cover of the loom, precisely to stop this kind of rattle from developing.

Finding the source and and using felt & cloth to stop the plastic-to plastic contact will get you a permanent cure, but spraying a nylon lubricant is, sadly, only going to give a temporary fix.

For anyone who's bothered by these niggly rattles and is prepared to take the time to isolate the cause & fix it properly, craft stores like Hobbycraft sell all kinds of useful materials - their sheets of self adhesive felt are particularly useful :).

Which reminds me that it's about time I spent half an hour sorting out a rattling glovebox on the Panda.
To be honest i don't care that much! In case that the rattle comes back i will apply some lubricant from the top without opening the panel .

Guys I have done this before! As I told you I had the same problem with the Beetle and that was my few months solution! I apply it from the top in spray form and with the windows closed! After two hours everything is fine!

Back