Technical Panda classic 4x4 engine swop ?

Currently reading:
Technical Panda classic 4x4 engine swop ?

Dippydave

Hi all, I own a 89 panda 4x4 with 999cc Fire engine. I've been told the mk1 punto 1242cc engine pretty much just drops in my car ???
Fact or fiction ?.....
If true has anyone done it ? Links to threads appreciated.
If I'm asking the obvious about a well trod road sorry.
Dave.

Hi all, I own a 89 panda 4x4 with 999cc Fire engine. I've been told the mk1 punto 1242cc engine pretty much just drops in my car ???
Fact or fiction ?.....
If true has anyone done it ? Links to threads appreciated.
If I'm asking the obvious about a well trod road sorry.
Dave.

Yes it will go in. An 8v will just bolt in on the standard engine mounts I believe, its been done before quite a few times.
A 16v will go in too with some modification to the heater airbox etc.

*raises hand*

yeah.. ive done it..

you have to do some things though.

the engine its self drops strait in. you just have to use the old engine mount.

the hard part is the conversion to run fuel injection.. and maybe wiring.

now i have gone through it in detail on my "Fallout" panda thread. i will find some links..

right some things to get out the way first,

it would make it oh so much more easy if you have a dona punto mk1. the punto 60 or 75 have the best 8v engines. the 75 being a little more powerful than the 60.

chose what engine you want to go for.

the coolant system is easy enough, just make sure you dont cut any of the pandas original pipes. you dont really need a heated throttle body in the UK, because the manifold is heated. i plumbed mine in because at the time it worked out more easy to do it.

the electronics side of things can be tricky. but theres some really nice wiring info on here that would help you out no end.. like this one i posted up here:
https://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors/330584-project-fallout-18.html?p=3541605

the ECU will happily live behind the engine bay sound proofing, keeping it out of the way. the Evap (fuel tank vapor system) solenoid must remain plugged in to the ECU or you will get the annoying injector light come on, should you choose to wire one in.
the Evap system can be completely ignored as the panda 4x4 does not have an evap system. i just wired my evap solenoid in next to the ecu behind the sound proofing not piped into anything.

the fuel system needs a 2.5 bar fuel pump connecting in line with the fuel loop system.
the panda 4x4 does not have an in tank fuel pump. it is the old engine driven fuel pump kind. the 1.2 engine will not have this, so just use a in-line 2.5 or 3 bar fuel pump.

the Exhaust.. due to the fact that the engine block sits 2cm taller, you have to mod the standard panda 4x4 down pipe. this is simple, you can just cut out the lambda part in the punto down pipe and weld it into the panda 4x4 down pipe. you have just killed 2 birds with one stone, lengthened the down pipe and found a place for the lambda sensor to live.

that is pretty much it. you will have issues with the original 1.2 engines air box and fouling the bonnet. sadly there is not much you can do about this other than cut out the middle support on the bonnet its self. the only other option is to lower the engine.. and that is a biiiig job.

ok basically if you want any details, check out my project thread and embedded videos here.
https://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors/330584-project-fallout-14.html?p=3526314

hope i have not put you off!

wow !! Way more help than I anticipated thanks a lot you guys. Can I ask if you feel the result was worth the effort put in ? How's it drive now etc etc. guess I should also take some piccys and start a thread to seeing as I've already cut the sills out one side as it's as rotten as can be.. What can I expect for £250 tho, again cheers guys Dave

well sadly my 1.2 panda is not on the road yet but when driving it up and down our yard, i can tell you that is has gone some poke. you'll be wanting to stick some wider tyres on it so you can get all that powa down ;)

i am looking forward to getting mine on the road, it is going to be just a show car, the bigger engine was for pulling around the extra weight the car will have.

though i must admit, if i had the chance to get another 1.2 engine cheap enough, i would keep hold of it, when say the head gasket or something else goes wrong with my main panda i would just swap the whole engine over to the 1.2

theres some other lads on the forum who have the 1.2 engine in the panda 4x4. when they come on and see this thread i am sure they will comment on it :D

as for help, we try our best here! :D

Seems your not far away dragon as I'm Chesterfield. Is finding a whole doner car the best way forward ? Took me hours to read ya thread and I've not even looked at a video ! My cars just me entertaining myself. Need a 4x4 as I live middle of nowhere and the Mrs hates the Jimmy I got her. So I've bought this as a back yard project for summat to do now I've had to stop work (heart attack) as I'd go insane watching Jeremy Kyle.

yeah just up the road from me :D

yeah getting another car would be nice and easy.

we do have a local scrap yard down here that will sell you everything you need for £110. thats engine with alternator + plastics, ECU, wiring loom, key and CODE box (plus any other bits that take your fancy)

you'd then have to get other things from other places. (such as the fuel pump and some pipe connectors).

if you want, i can weld you up an exhaust if you can get me the down pipes from the panda 4x4 and the punto.
hell i am pretty sure i could come and give you a hand if ever you get stuck if you want. be a bit of fun.

there's a few other folk on here from chesterfield too :D

the main differences between the punto 60 and 75 is pretty much the power the engine gives out.

the punto 60 is a single point injection system
the punto 75 is a multi point injection system, it has a higher lift cam (the punto 60 had this in later models), larger valves and bigger ports. everything in the cylinder head. the bottom end of the engine is completely the same as the punto 60.

it is a shame that you did not come on sooner. there was a really nice punto 60 in the scrap yard with 30k miles on it. sadly it has gone now. there was also a punto 75 in too. but that had 88k miles on it.

here is a list of what my local has in:
http://www.albertlooms.com/content.aspx?id=10

you are looking for anything older than 2000. so 1999 back.
theres 2 that would be good if they were low miles... the yellow 60 S and the red 60 SX.
all the others are the mk2 punto. they have knock sensors and cam sensors.. complete nightmare wire up.
stick with the mk1 stuff and you will be laughing.

if you did really want to go mad, you could stick the 16v engine in. hell even the 1.4 16v would fit and bolt up to the gearbox. you would just have to cut your cabin fan air box up a bit to get it in. also a cam belt change would be almost a engine out job :/
(the 8v cam belt can be changed in a pub car park with basic tools... in the rain. i know i did it!)

like i say the choice is yours on engines. you have loads that would fit so long as they were all the "FIRE" engine.

my dream is to get the 1.3 diesel multi-jet engine in a classic panda. that would be soooooooo awesome.

I have seen a punto 60 locally for £100 but I missed the beggar. Would a single point injection be an easier fit ? It may work out cheaper as I may even fit an LPG system if I can find the parts second hand and single point inj would be easier to gas up.. Also reckon there's a chance I'm gunna chop the back off and make a pick up out of it.

both punto 60 and 75 are easy.. they just use 2 fuel hoses.
the injection system on the punto 75 is fired "batch" in other words, when one fires, the rest do at the same time.

i think it would be the same to fit LPG to the 60 or 75..

as for cutting the back off..

this could be tricky. you would need to do a lot of strengthening and some to make it safe.
you may also get issues trying to get it safety checked.

i personally am not a fan of soft tops. we have had SJs Jimnys and a few others.. every one was naff because it was a soft top. now if it was hot here all the time i would change my mind. sadly this country is more often cold than it is hot :(
just my view on it..

there was a thread recently about a panda that had its roof cut off.. wonder if i can find it..

yeah here it is..
https://www.fiatforum.com/auction-watch/416941-mk1-convertible-buggy-thingey.html

Last edited:
Eyup, viewed that thread your right that looks terrible and the standard of work looks pisspoor. Not what I'm mulling over at all, I was thinking pickup style. Cut rear half of roof off then enclose front cabin area and make rear half open pickup Bay Area. Not deff decided one way or another yet as I suppose it will evolve in its own way and my immediate prob is severe tinworm infestation. As for 60/75 punto engine I'm gunna roll along looking out for a full scrap car and see what pops up and let fate decide.
So if anyone got a scrap punto ??????
The offer of help and a visits v welcome. You often have to view a cars issues to come up with a cunning plan to sort it.

I have a 1242 hybrid Punto engine in my shed. Lighter 60 block and 75 cam', exhaust and other bits if you need them. The conversion is straight forward and took a couple of hours. The standard Panda carb' is the same as the one used on the MkII Golf 1.3 so jetting shouldn't be an issue.

I used TDM bike carb's but it was a bit of a handful when I tested it. ;)

Back