General Panda classic engine removal questions

Currently reading:
General Panda classic engine removal questions

Good104

So I need to take out my fiat panda classic engine and replace it with another, same unit ,same size etc but would rather.leave gearbox in situ if possible.
Question is would engine come out from below or.over the top and do I need to remove gearbox mounts at all ?
Just replaced all driveshafts and don't want to disturb them
Cheers
1990 1000cc panda fire .

Don't know about Panda specifically, I have removed some that way but generally you need around 100mm of clearance at pulley/belt end to allow bellhousing/clutch clearance, if nearly there sometimes supporting and undoing gearbox mounting may give that last bit of clearance to swing gearbox back a little, though easy to pop the shafts out doing this, so at the end of the day you know what is the right way.;)
I have done it on three cylinder Vauxhall Corsa where there was an option for a four cylinder engine so a lot more spare room.

So I need to take out my fiat panda classic engine and replace it with another, same unit ,same size etc but would rather.leave gearbox in situ if possible.
Question is would engine come out from below or.over the top and do I need to remove gearbox mounts at all ?
Just replaced all driveshafts and don't want to disturb them
Cheers
1990 1000cc panda fire .

Personally I think its not worthwhile..

Trying to lift engine back in AND align gearbox shaft through clutch .. 🤔 i

Seems too much for me

But..Ive not done it in 15 years :)

you can do it, however you need to remove the drive shafts from the wheel hubs. you can then undo the starter, flywheel cover, 3 main bolts and 1 nut that hold the gearbox to the engine. support the engine on a jack and undo the engine mounts. yes you do have to undo all mounts as you have the move the gearbox to the side a bit to clear the input shaft going into the clutch.
theres 9 wires in total from what i remember to the engine. oil, temp, alternator, alternator battery light, main starter, starter solenoid, carb fuel cut off and the distributor green coil and HT "king" lead.

hope this helps

you can do it, however you need to remove the drive shafts from the wheel hubs. you can then undo the starter, flywheel cover, 3 main bolts and 1 nut that hold the gearbox to the engine. support the engine on a jack and undo the engine mounts. yes you do have to undo all mounts as you have the move the gearbox to the side a bit to clear the input shaft going into the clutch.
theres 9 wires in total from what i remember to the engine. oil, temp, alternator, alternator battery light, main starter, starter solenoid, carb fuel cut off and the distributor green coil and HT "king" lead.

hope this helps

Yes
That does a lot

Back