General Panda 4x4 - Help Identifying Loose Bolts

Currently reading:
General Panda 4x4 - Help Identifying Loose Bolts

TTR

Established member
Hi all,

I discoverd that the lower suspension bottom ball joint was worn 3 weeks ago and did not have the time to replace the unit myself so took it to my trusted local garage.

Repalced part but a "knock/vibration" was still there, this got worse to the point where i dropped back with it this Saturday. Up on the ramps and we checked everything was sucure and all the usual drop links. anti roll car etc was tight and safe all good ?

Went home with the noise still there so got underneath and started again in my garage.

Then i spoted something odd, and i need help.

When stood in front of the engine look toward the left rear where you can see the alternator casting mounting point, just to the right and a little further down are two 13mm bolts sightly offset holding a fairly hefty piece of metal in place. There were just about hanging in by a thread, i could turn them with my fingers. What are they holdin in place ? Anyone know or can help? I cannot post pictures (no idea how to do it !!).

Really would apprecaite uderstand what these are for, need to make sure its nothing garge have done, cannot see it myself as its not in any area they would have needed access to.

Any help greatly apprecaited.

I've just been out to my car to have a look, but some baffoon has fitted a supercharger above the alternator so I cannot see the bolts to which you refer....

However, the very heft sump guard fits just below the engine of course and there's a good chance that the garage had to remove it to do the work on the car and forgot to tighten the bolts. Suggest you do now though, regardless of what they're for holding together.

R1NGA,

Cheers for that, i have seen your mods - not surprised you cannot see anything in yours !

I did tightem both bolts up, jacked the car and got acces from the side just above the steering rack where i could get a wobble bar in. God knows how these came loose!!

Also i checked all sump gard bolts.

The main problem though is the chuffing knock/vibration is still there, its driving me MAD.

It is definatley not (or appears to be ):--

Front ani roll bar bushes
New lower suspension arm
Drive shafts
Wheel bearing
Suspension coil spring
Suspension
Drag links

anyone any ideas where else i can look.

It occuers best when the car is at 20-30 mph over corrugated surface.

All help greatly appreciated.

All,

In case this assists anyone in the future, i located the "knock" finally yesterday evening and identified the loose bolts.

The bolts had come loose from the engine block to gear box brace that is located on the bulkhead side of the engine - god knows how these came loose!

The knock was down to a loose top bolt securing the front caliper to its housing, i assume it either worked its way loose or the caliper was removed in the process of changing the lower suspension arm and not toghtemed enough.

Eitther way back to normal i hope,

Back