General PAINT PROBLEMS - Caribbean Orange MJET

Currently reading:
General PAINT PROBLEMS - Caribbean Orange MJET

jackbenjamin

So I washed my car this weekend.. Went inside and came back about an hour later and a big patch of lacquer had decided to remove itself :\

Because the paint on my wheels is s**tty and just flakes off all the time i try and keep jetwashing to a minium, and if I do its on a low pressure setting so that cant be a cause - you can see on the pics below how the wheels are.

Has anyone else seen this? Shes been kept pretty immaculate and has only just crossed over to 40k, im second owner but only as of may :mad:

Looked around to see if there was anything else like it and there are little bubble kinda things on the roof and lower on the drivers door, at least 3 bubbles & theyve all 'popped'.. ive looked through my warranty and paintwork isnt covered, anybody seen anything like this on a GP? I havent noticed them before so dont really know where theyve come from but shes had a dirty 6 weeks or so :confused:

Italian craftsmanship at its finest, buzzzzzzzin!

Attachments

• IMG_1884-1.jpg
    IMG_1884-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 133
  • 566694_10151322765884002_1689934842_o.jpg
    566694_10151322765884002_1689934842_o.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 567208_10151322767279002_296583538_o.jpg
    567208_10151322767279002_296583538_o.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Can't really see what you mean in those pics (am on my mobile)

But I have this on my bonnet atm.

Just gonna wait for the same colour GP to be breaking for spares...

Its pretty similar to yours, yeah the photos not embedded so il do that when I get on the laptop later.

It's just gone all Matt around the door handle in the first picture. Yeah looks like I'm gonna have to do the same or respray :/ not too worried about the roof cause that's going gloss black soon anyway.

Surely this shouldn't happen on a 6 year old car though?

No it shouldn't happen to a six year old car, but it is a Fiat. Don't they come with a specific paint warranty? Most cars do.

True! Yeah it's 3 year paint, 8 year corrosion. Don't think this comes under that though lol :/

Ah only three years, no joy to be had there then.

Sounds like the op is in for an expensive trip to a body shop. The sooner the better, as the un-lacquered paint will fade.

I had this happen on my roof, so i ended up wrapping it in black. i love my car and the colour but its the worst quality paint/lacquer ive ever seen used!

We had a little patch do the same. I roughed it up a little to form a key for the laquer and it changed shade, so now we have a dark orange patch on the door.

If you re-laquer it, or take it for re-laquering, under no circumstances try and rough the paintwork up.

Trust me

Yea i agree with you all. I bought an orange mulijet about 4 months ago. Didnt notice when buying but the colour fade on these cars are really REALLY bad! I removed some stripes of my car and the colour variation is terrible so gonna have to get some new stripes to cover. I also got a few quotes for a scuff mark and dent mark on my back bumper/rear wing and no body seemed to wanrlt to touch it unless it was for a stupid price apart from one place as they could not guarentee the colour match.

Yea i agree with you all. I bought an orange mulijet about 4 months ago. Didnt notice when buying but the colour fade on these cars are really REALLY bad! I removed some stripes of my car and the colour variation is terrible so gonna have to get some new stripes to cover. I also got a few quotes for a scuff mark and dent mark on my back bumper/rear wing and no body seemed to wanrlt to touch it unless it was for a stupid price apart from one place as they could not guarentee the colour match.

Colour fade on any brightly coloured car is always a problem. My current and last car were both red so they were kept in a garage most of the time and never parked in direct sunlight. It's a good idea to keep your car as clean as possible, clayed, polished, waxed and sealed as it forms protection for the paint. The darker colour where your stripes were isn't too much of a problem, with a good machine polish should be able to get it looking perfect again (y)

Colour fade on any brightly coloured car is always a problem. My current and last car were both red so they were kept in a garage most of the time and never parked in direct sunlight. It's a good idea to keep your car as clean as possible, clayed, polished, waxed and sealed as it forms protection for the paint. The darker colour where your stripes were isn't too much of a problem, with a good machine polish should be able to get it looking perfect again (y)

Yea im going to get some colour restorer and red colourmatch t cut to hopefully darken the fade a bit and protect it. How can you polish the colour up when it is laqueured though?

Think im getting this next to my passenger handle area.

I see were people come from saying red is the worst for fade, but in saying that every red car a little older or same age as my 57 plate seems to be hardly noticeable compared my red gp. (n)

Last edited:
Back