Technical Old Cobra alarm?

Currently reading:
Technical Old Cobra alarm?

Ronnie63

Fitted to our 2002 x230 is a cobra alarm, we never got any fobs with it or the security card, however there is a pen like touch fob thing on the keys that has cobra on it. I'm thinking on removing this completley but worried it might tap into the common rail somehow?

Thanks Ronnie

Fitted to our 2002 x230 is a cobra alarm, we never got any fobs with it or the security card, however there is a pen like touch fob thing on the keys that has cobra on it. I'm thinking on removing this completley but worried it might tap into the common rail somehow?

Thanks Ronnie
I am not specifically sure of what you mean by the "common rail" as on a diesel engine the common rail is the high pressure fuel rail supplying the injectors. did you mean this or did you mean the Canbus system which is like a computer network all around the van?

If installed correctly, then it is likely that the alarm is taped into several things all around the van, door locks, indicators, fuel pump, ignition etc, and the wiring for these alarms is all black so there is no colour codes to be able to chase back what they are connected to there are no pin outs from the alarm ECU to be able to reference.

I would leave it for someone either experienced with vehicle electronics or call in a professional.

I am not specifically sure of what you mean by the "common rail" as on a diesel engine the common rail is the high pressure fuel rail supplying the injectors. did you mean this or did you mean the Canbus system which is like a computer network all around the van?

If installed correctly, then it is likely that the alarm is taped into several things all around the van, door locks, indicators, fuel pump, ignition etc, and the wiring for these alarms is all black so there is no colour codes to be able to chase back what they are connected to there are no pin outs from the alarm ECU to be able to reference.

I would leave it for someone either experienced with vehicle electronics or call in a professional.
Thanks I mean the fuel pump on a common rail engine. I guess I could try and find a plug and play replacement? The hab door has a sensor and the cab ultrasonics

Seems the loom has coloured wires?

Attachments

• IMG_3351.jpeg
    IMG_3351.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22

That age of Duc is not a canbus system, AFAIK.

I have only just noticed this post which has possibly raised a likely cause to my 2 year performance issue with my Ducato 2.5 TDI motorhome.
I have recently added a post requesting a wiring diagram for the Bosch ECU as more than several mechanics later and many replacement parts, refurbishments and trials and tribulations I'm no further on.
During a 3 month renovation of my motorhome I came across a disused Cobra Alarm model 7928.
To me it appeared to be fully removed with wires chopped and going to nowhere but I can't remember or be certain if some were still attached.
I Ripped it all out I know that.
When I put it all back together some months down the line it had a little red light on the dash board. Picture of this and further info is in my other post.
I only drove it locally so didn't notice the performance issue until my maiden voyage.
The vehicle drove Gutless. Long story Short it drove like it had no turbo. everything else worked perfectly. the engine sounded sweet as a nut. it ticks over beautiful. it just will not boast.

Is it possible that I have removed some part of a circuit that retards the fuel pump, Turbo, ECU???

This post has me thinking because it drove perfectly until I Parked it up.

I've had the turbo reconditioned by the way. And the guy said there was nothing wrong with it so that can be rulled out.
all this info is in my other post.

If anybody can help, or point me towards what I might have done id be so grateful.

Many thanks

Peter

I have only just noticed this post which has possibly raised a likely cause to my 2 year performance issue with my Ducato 2.5 TDI motorhome.
I have recently added a post requesting a wiring diagram for the Bosch ECU as more than several mechanics later and many replacement parts, refurbishments and trials and tribulations I'm no further on.
During a 3 month renovation of my motorhome I came across a disused Cobra Alarm model 7928.
To me it appeared to be fully removed with wires chopped and going to nowhere but I can't remember or be certain if some were still attached.
I Ripped it all out I know that.
When I put it all back together some months down the line it had a little red light on the dash board. Picture of this and further info is in my other post.
I only drove it locally so didn't notice the performance issue until my maiden voyage.
The vehicle drove Gutless. Long story Short it drove like it had no turbo. everything else worked perfectly. the engine sounded sweet as a nut. it ticks over beautiful. it just will not boast.

Is it possible that I have removed some part of a circuit that retards the fuel pump, Turbo, ECU???

This post has me thinking because it drove perfectly until I Parked it up.

I've had the turbo reconditioned by the way. And the guy said there was nothing wrong with it so that can be rulled out.
all this info is in my other post.

If anybody can help, or point me towards what I might have done id be so grateful.

Many thanks

Peter
Hi Peter,
Given that your engine is a Sofim 8140.47R, with mechanically controlled fuel injection, that seems improbable. Presumably you were only removing previously cut loose ends of wires. However if you were rash enough to cut out a complete wire, then who knows?

Back