General Oil Pressure Message.

Currently reading:
General Oil Pressure Message.

ninian324

Hi, While my 2.3 / 150 Ducato Motorhome was in the garage yesterday I asked them to check the Oil Pressure at the pressure switch because I've had the "Oil Pressure Low Stop and Turn of the Engine" message from new basically. My Local Fiat Professional Garage (supposedly) could not diagnose the fault but my independent garage told me that there is a 3 second delay from starting until the pressure reaches the switch. They fitted a temporary gauge to see the pressure. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it rectified.

I cant say if this is your problem but if the oil filter is the type that fits so it screws
on from the top thread down if you know what I mean then they often have a anti
drain back valve, if the wrong filter is fitted or the valve sticks then the filter drains
when the engine stops and it takes a few secs to refill on start up before pressure
builds. I have seen this on other engines but have never worked on the 2.3 Fiat lump.
How is the pressure when it is running.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm sure the filter is on the horizontal and the message clears once the switch sees the pressure and the red oil can icon goes out. The van runs perfectly and the message doesn't appear until the next first start of the day.

Be worth having a look at the filter to see if you think it could be draining back,
did this just start out of the blue or after a filter/oil change.

Hi, No, it started back in 2015 with about 500 miles on the clock and its been an on-going problem that my local Fiat Professional garage couldn't diagnose or repair.

So it's likely had a few filters fitted and unlikely to be that.
Unless it had a 500 mile first service with a new but wrong
filter and they have fitted the wrong one ever since.

Last edited:
Hi, The first service was at around 2000 miles but I don't know if there is a specific filter for the van. I don't take it to a Fiat Professional Garage as I don't trust them and we only have one so there is no alternative.

Back